San Francisco News
BMW unveils electric car-sharing service in SF
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- San Francisco Mayor Ed Lee joined officials from BMW today to announce a new electric car-sharing service, as well as a program that allows drivers to reserve parking spaces at various locations around the city.
The DriveNow and ParkNow services were unveiled at a news conference at Civic Center Plaza today that featured four of the new all-electric BMW ActiveE vehicles, part of the car-sharing program's fleet of 70 vehicles located at eight stations in San Francisco and the Peninsula.
Lee said the car-sharing program, which launched in June, will make San Francisco "more sustainable in our mobility" and said it is a case of the city "getting greener and smarter."
The rate is $12 for the first 30 minutes of driving, followed by 32 cents for each additional minute, with a cap at $90 per day. The cars can be picked up and dropped off at any of the eight stations.
BMW also unveiled the ParkNow program, available as a smartphone app or on its website, that will allow drivers to pay in advance to park at one of the service's 14 locations in San Francisco, at San Francisco International Airport and in Palo Alto.
The program, which launches next month, will eventually include more than 100 additional locations, BMW officials said.
More information about the programs can be found on BMW's website at www.bmw-i.com/en-ww/mobility-services.
ed lee, BMW, san francisco news
- Castro Valley man a person of interest in wife's death
- Memorial bench to honor missing teen Sierra LaMar
- CA Republican Party holds convention in Burlingame
- Union says fewer teachers facing layoffs in California
- Dad accused of biting infant's nose to be arraigned
- Fundraiser for victims of Indonesia volcano eruption
- Thieves steal gas station ATM in Sonoma County
- Fire destroys home, displaces 15 residents in Richmond
- Honda recalling 886,815 Odyssey minivans
- Over $7,000 raised for police dog battling cancer
- Online naming contest open for trails at Glen Canyon
- Photos: Meet the stars where you live
- roundup: Most Wanted suspect; Sierra LaMar bench
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos