San Francisco News
Mirkarimi attends rally with supporters
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- Suspended San Francisco Sheriff Ross Mirkarimi was out rallying supporters Monday, just as the San Francisco Board of Supervisors prepares to decide if he should be removed from office for official misconduct.
Mirkarimi attended a noisy demonstration outside City Hall organized by members of the Iranian community. His wife, Eliana Lopez, who's at the center of the domestic violence charge, was also there.
The rally is the latest effort by the sheriff to influence the supervisors.
Mirkarimi called the hearings a political witch hunt.
"A government over-reacting to such degree that it would actually resort to the undemocratic, let me stress, undemocratic strategies of removing an elected official," he said.
The board may get the case this week from the ethics commission. Nine out of 11 supervisors must vote to remove Mirkarimi from office.
ross mirkarimi, eliana lopez, domestic violence, ed lee, san francisco board of supervisors, san francisco news
- Medical examiner: 24 dead in Oklahoma tornado 1 min ago
- Firefighters save Vallejo man in apartment fire
- Man goes missing after Bay to Breakers race
- Bay Area residents in DC protest against banks
- NFL owners to announce Super Bowl 50 host city
- Victims hope to get money back from lending scheme
- Man dies after fall during Bay to Breakers party
- Norman Wielsch sentenced to 14 years in prison
- 5-year-old killed in rollover crash in Richmond
- 4-alarm grass fire burns 8 acres in Orinda
- Silver Creek HS sophomore killed in bike accident
- Yahoo takes big leap with $1.1B deal for Tumblr
- roundup: Mountain lion spotted; Palo Alto murder
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Tuesday