San Francisco News
Mirkarimi attends rally with supporters
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- Suspended San Francisco Sheriff Ross Mirkarimi was out rallying supporters Monday, just as the San Francisco Board of Supervisors prepares to decide if he should be removed from office for official misconduct.
Mirkarimi attended a noisy demonstration outside City Hall organized by members of the Iranian community. His wife, Eliana Lopez, who's at the center of the domestic violence charge, was also there.
The rally is the latest effort by the sheriff to influence the supervisors.
Mirkarimi called the hearings a political witch hunt.
"A government over-reacting to such degree that it would actually resort to the undemocratic, let me stress, undemocratic strategies of removing an elected official," he said.
The board may get the case this week from the ethics commission. Nine out of 11 supervisors must vote to remove Mirkarimi from office.
ross mirkarimi, eliana lopez, domestic violence, ed lee, san francisco board of supervisors, san francisco news
- Manhunt underway after officer shot in SF
- Petaluma police say thieves targeting utility trucks
- 93-year-old Marin Co. man missing for over a week
- $1.2M bond set for mom who drove kids into ocean
- Tips for adjusting to daylight saving time
- International Women's Day walk kicks off in SF
- 'Sunday Streets' returns to San Francisco
- 750 immigration detainees on hunger strike in US
- Partner of dead LA officer in stable condition
- Plan to build median on GG Bridge moves forward
- Special ed cheerleading squad thrills Livermore HS
- Wheel of Fortune is in Northern California!
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday
- roundup: Officer-involved shooting; Murder case