San Francisco News
San Francisco's Purple Onion set to close
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- A legendary San Francisco comedy club will have one last laugh and then shut down for good.
The Purple Onion in North Beach hosted the Smothers Brothers in 1961 and has since filled its walls with autographed photos of now famous comedians.
However, after nearly 60 years of jokes and laughter the building is being sold and everything inside will be auctioned off on Tuesday. The Purple Onion plans to hold one final comedy marathon Monday night.
Tuesday's auction will include all the furnishings and those autographed photos of the comic legends such as: Woody Allen, Phyllis Diller and Richard Pryor.
san francisco news
- Teen survives flight from SJC to Hawaii in wheel well 44 min ago
- PG&E to be arraigned in fatal San Bruno blast
- Good Samaritan pulls boy from water in San Leandro
- Divers recover more bodies from sunken ferry
- Barricaded man taken into custody in San Jose
- San Francisco officer dragged by suspect getaway car
- Fairfield resident killed, boy injured after shooting
- At least 10 arrested at "420" celebration in SF
- Highway 1 reopens after major injury crash
- Posey, Lincecum lead San Francisco Giants to 4-3 win
- Boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76
- Minimalists find happiness living with less
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
- roundup: Fatal shooting in Concord; Piedmont landslide
- Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
41 min ago