San Francisco News
Smokey Robinson impersonator arrested after cellphone stolen in Union Square bar
SAN FRANCISCO -- An alleged con artist, known for impersonating a Motown songwriter in 2010 and this past June, has been arrested in connection with the theft of a cellphone he asked to borrow to make a call to Motown singer Smokey Robinson, San Francisco police said today.
Alan Young, 56, was arrested on burglary and parole violation charges Tuesday at his home in the 100 block of Sixth Street only minutes after a man reported his cellphone was stolen by a man at a bar inside a Union Square hotel.
The victim told police that he met the man at the bar on Union Square at about 11 p.m. The man told the victim he knew Smokey Robinson and asked if he could call Robinson with the victim's cellphone.
After the victim handed him the cellphone, the suspect told him it was noisy inside the bar and he had to make the call outside. The suspect left the bar but did not return.
From the description provided by the victim, police recognized Young and found him at his home. Officers also found local hotel access cards at Young's home, police said.
At the time of his arrest Tuesday, Young was on felony probation for a previous arrest.
Young was arrested in June on suspicion of leaving a San Francisco bar with another victim's cellphone, after telling the victim he was Motown songwriter Lamont Dozier.
Officer Albie Esparza said police are asking for other potential victims of similar scams to come forward.
Young was the subject of a manhunt in 2010, after police said he tried to convince a San Francisco art dealer that he was Dozier and wanted to buy $75,000 in artworks.
Nothing was stolen, but the art dealer notified police after searching for Lamont Dozier online and determining Young was not Dozier, police said.
crime, cellphone, san francisco news
- Man leads police on wild chase around Antioch
- Record streak continues for Winter Spare the Air Alerts
- BART and unions to meet today over contract
- Hearing produces new details, video of Asiana crash
- Fiery big-rig crash cleared from I-80 in Pinole 15 min ago
- Interpreter at Mandela event: I was hallucinating
- Toys for Tots donations really low this year
- Huy Fong Foods halting Sriracha sauce shipments
- OTRC: Golden Globes 2014: Full list of nominations 4 min ago
- Teen given probation in DUI crash that killed four
- Winter Spare the Air called through Thursday
- abcnews: First lady's glare seen round the world
- roundup: Robbery suspect shot; BART dispute 58 min ago
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
47 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos