San Francisco News
San Francisco hosting full slate of weekend events
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- San Francisco will be jammed-packed with events this weekend including the America's Cup regatta, the Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival, a 49ers game on Sunday, baseball playoffs, and Fleet Week. That means the sonic boom of the Blue Angels will be rocking the Bay Area.
There is sure to be a huge turn out on Marina Green, as usual, to see the Blue Angels during Fleet Week and the America's Cup World Series is expected to draw its own impressive crowd as the 45-foot boats race on the bay. But that's just the beginning.
Start off with Oracle's big party which is already in town, 50,000 people for that. On Wednesday night, they head to Treasure Island. Back in 2009, it was Aerosmiith playing at that party. This year, it's Pearl Jam and Kings of Leon. Out on the water, Oracle's America's Cup World Series boats will be racing against teams from Sweden, England, Korea, New Zealand, Italy, France, and China.
Then, the Blue Angels come to town for Fleet Week's big weekend airshow. While that's happening, the Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival will feature dozens of big-name acts playing for free in Golden Gate Park. Throw in Sunday's Italian Heritage Parade, the Castro Street Fair, and a 49ers home game and it's a pretty busy weekend.
"There's so much happening with the Italian Heritage Festiva and the Castro Street Fair coming up, Oracle, the races going on, it's chock-a-block," said W Hotel manage Michael Pace. Pace says the city is sold out. And, that's all without mentioning yet that the Giants will likely be in town for the first of their playoff games and the A's appear to be playoff-bound as well. "Welcome. This is the beginning of a great number of events in our city," Mayor Ed Lee said kicking off Fleet Week by remarking about everything else that's on tap.
Outside the Sir Fancis Drake, celebrity doorman Tom Sweeney says he's never seen the like. "How can you go wrong? San Francisco's at it's best right now," he said.
Click here for a list of this weekend's events and traffic information to help you get around.
fleet week, oakland athletics, san francisco 49ers, san francisco giants, san francisco news, mark matthews
- I-5 bridge collapses into Washington's Skagit River 44 min ago
- 5.7 earthquake hits Northern California 34 min ago
- New details released in police officers' murders
- Bicyclist killed in accident with garbage truck in SF
- Gov. Brown keeps pressing climate change crusade
- Video: America's Cup teams practice on San...
- TIME publishes Obama prom photo, yearbook message
- Caltrans shows fix for broken Bay Bridge bolts
- Oakland's real estate market heats up
- Hundreds of officers attend little girl's graduation
- Ohio kidnap case hero gets free McDonald's food
- abcnews: New bill would allow pets on Amtrak
- roundup: BART bike vote; Gov. climate change
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos