San Francisco News
Entangled sea lion at Pier 39 captured
SAN FRANCISCO -- A rescue crew has captured one of two sea lions that were spotted entangled in debris at San Francisco's Pier 39, a Marine Mammal Center spokesman said.
The Marine Mammal Center responded to Pier 39's "K-Dock," the area where sea lions congregate on floating wooden platforms, at about 12:30 p.m., Marine Mammal Center spokesman Jim Oswald said.
Oswald said it appeared the animals have what looks like fishing line around their necks.
The rescue team successfully deployed a dart with a mild sedative into one of the two sea lions at about 1:50 p.m., Oswald said.
Once the sedative kicked in, the rescue team slowly approached the sea lion, brought it to shore, put it in a rescue carrier and is driving it to the center where a veterinarian will take off the debris wrapped around its neck.
"It's tricky to do," Oswald said of the rescue. "We don't take them lightly."
If the entanglement were more severe, the rescue crew could have opted to take the wire off on site, he said.
The rescue of the second sea lion appears to have become more complicated; the sea lion was scared by a tour boat and has disappeared into the water, Oswald said.
He said crews will wait at the pier to see if it returns. If it does, they will repeat the process used to rescue the first sea lion.
animal, animals in peril, rescue, marine mammal center, san francisco news
- Collapse feared at site of massive 5-alarm fire in SF
- FBI searching for Bay Area bombing suspect
- India says Malaysia seeking help in search for jet 54 min ago
- Requests to carry concealed guns surges in Calif. 48 min ago
- Santa Cruz police arrest suspect in sexual assault
- Mountain lion caught on camera in Hollywood Hlls 16 min ago
- Target apologizes for girl's bathing suit Photoshop fail
- Parents warned about new psychedelic drug 9 min ago
- Boat crashes into rocks near Oyster Point Marina 58 min ago
- San Jose police officer facing rape charges
- Groups protest chemicals used in iPhone 41 min ago
- roundup: Bay Area winds; Great Highway closure
- abcnews: 'The Bachelor' Finale Full Recap
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos