San Francisco News
San Francisco supervisors have voted to reinstate Ross Mirkarimi as sheriff
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- The San Francisco Board of Supervisors has voted to reinstate San Francisco Sheriff Ross Mirkarimi. Mirkarimi was taken off the job earlier this year after a domestic violence incident involving his wife.
Mirkarimi and his wife Eliana Lopez were greeted by throngs of supporters at City Hall Tuesday afternoon. Of the hundreds of people who lined up for the opportunity to attend and comment at the meeting, many seemed to be Mirkarimi supporters.
The meeting began promptly at 2 p.m. to a packed chamber and standing room only in two overflow rooms. Ethics Commission President Ben Hurr started things off by explaining how the commission came to the conclusion Mirkarimi was guilty official misconduct. Next, Deputy City Attorney Sherri Kaiser presented the Mayor Ed Lee's case, asking the supervisors to uphold his suspension.
Attorney David Waggoner, who is representing Mirkarimi, spent much of the afternoon sitting in the chambers, listening intently.
Public comment began around 4:30 p.m. Most of the commenters seem to support Mirkarimi being reinstated. Supervisors took a brief recess from the comments before 7 p.m. before resuming to hear the remaining 30 or so commenters.
Removal of Mirkarimi required the vote of at least nine of the 11 supervisors. They voted 7-4 and only three votes were needed for him to keep his job.
ross mirkarimi, eliana lopez, domestic violence, ed lee, san francisco board of supervisors, san francisco city hall, san francisco news, vic lee
- Brentwood students facing charges for sexting scandal 5 min ago
- CCSF protestors make voices heard at City Hall
- Investigators finally getting look at Mission Bay fire 3 min ago
- I-TEAM: Small park, big problems
- Vehicle runs over gas line, hits SJ DMV building
- Uber announces new insurance policy for drivers
- Costco recalls cases of freeze-dried fruit
- Crews busy dismantling old span of the Bay Bridge
- Virgin to stop service at Mineta San Jose Airport
- Group says GM airbag failures caused 303 deaths
- Bay Area kids look to strike gold on ABC's 'Shark Tank'
- Photos: Meet the stars where you live
- roundup: AltCar Expo; Motorcyclist killed
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos