San Francisco News
Celebrations by Giants fans turn rowdy in SF
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- At least three bonfires were seen on Mission Street as San Francisco Giants fans celebrated their team's win in the World Series Sunday night.
Trash cans, couches, signs, newspaper racks, and other items were thrown into the bonfires by large crowds of people at 16th and Valencia, 19th and 22nd streets. Firefighters had to be escorted in by riot police to fight some of the fires.
Police spokesman Officer Carlos Manfredi said police were deploying units to hot spots around the city. "Obviously the crowd is celebrating and spilling over into the streets, so we're making sure everybody stays safe and nobody gets injured," Manfredi said.
The celebrations caused street closures and significant delays for traffic and public transit according to the Department of Emergency Services.
The city of San Francisco plans to hold a ticker tape parade and civic celebration in honor of the Giants on Wednesday, also Halloween. Mayor Ed Lee announced the parade will start at 11 a.m. at the foot of Market Street and continue to Civic Center Plaza.
The Giants swept the Tigers, winning the series in Game 4 in Detroit Sunday night with a 4-3 victory. It is the team's second World Series win in three years.
"The rain in Detroit couldn't dampen the drive, talent and determination of the San Francisco Giants team tonight," Lee said in a statement tonight. "Once again, the Giants brought our City together as we all cheered on our hometown heroes to another remarkable World Series victory."
The team will arrive at SFO at 3 p.m. today.
Bay City News contributed to this report.
mission district, san francisco giants, world series, san francisco news
- Oklahoma tornado was top-of-the-scale EF-5 47 min ago
- Search continues for man after Bay to Breakers
- Apple's Cook faces Senate questions on taxes
- Arias tells jury what she'll do if allowed to live
- Photos: Tornado rips through Oklahoma City area 47 min ago
- UC hospitals say patients safe despite strike
- More than 100 gas grills put to the test
- Obama opposes GOP bill on Keystone XL pipeline
- Senate panel approves weapons for Syrian rebels
- Poll: Teens migrating to Twitter
- Photos: San Jose Sharks fan pics!
- abcnews: Hero teacher covered students with body
- roundup: Bay Area Super Bowl; Antioch fire
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Tuesday