San Francisco News
Man fatally shot in SF's Mission District ID'd
SAN FRANCISCO -- A man who was fatally shot in San Francisco's Mission District early Tuesday morning has been identified by the medical examiner's office as 28-year-old Jose Matias-Aguilon.
The shooting was reported at 12:03 a.m. Tuesday at the intersection of South Van Ness Avenue and 20th Street.
Responding officers found Matias-Aguilon, a San Francisco resident, suffering from an apparent gunshot wound, police said. He was taken to a hospital where he was later pronounced dead.
After the shooting, witnesses led officers to the area of 21st and Folsom streets, where police detained four people. Investigators also found two handguns and several discarded articles of clothing in the 600 block of Shotwell Street, according to police.
Officers identified Sterling Samm, 20, and a 14-year-old boy as suspects in the shooting and arrested them on murder and weapons charges, police said.
The shooting remains under investigation. Anyone with information about the case is asked to call Inspectors Dedet or Velarde or Sgt. Warnke of the Police Department's homicide unit at (415) 553-1145.
People can also call the anonymous tip line at (415) 575-4444 or send a tip by text message to TIP411 and begin the message with "SFPD."
mission district, shooting, murder, guns, crime, san francisco news
- Bay to Breakers draws thousands to San Francisco
- Tejay van Garderen wins Tour of California
- Two Powerball tickets in Calif. have 5 of 6 numbers
- NFL set to vote if Bay Area will host Super Bowl 31 min ago
- 2 men arrested in killing teen over iPad in Las Vegas 25 min ago
- Girl killed, parents hurt by shots fired into home 49 min ago
- Child injured in fall from second-story window in SF
- SF police ask for help in solving 2012 B2B homicide
- US gas prices up 11 cents over past 2 weeks 45 min ago
- Patrols increased after attempted armed robbery
- Hofstra graduates honor student killed by police 35 min ago
- abcnews: Men Struggle With Wives' Breast Cancer
- roundup: Fairfield shooting; Redwood City fire 3 min ago
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos