San Francisco News
Man arrested in connection with Muni agent assault
SAN FRANCISCO -- Police arrested a San Francisco man who allegedly beat up a Muni agent last month for trying to stop him from taking a bicycle through the pay gates at Van Ness Station.
Devon Riley, 20, was arrested Friday on the Phelan Campus of City College San Francisco after community college police received an anonymous tip, according to San Francisco police.
Riley was interviewed and booked into San Francisco County Jail on suspicion of battery with serious injuries, battery on a transportation operator and mayhem, all felony charges, Sgt. Michael Andraychak said.
The alleged attack occurred on Oct. 10 around 7:10 p.m., after the suspect tried to go through pay gates at the Van Ness station with his bicycle, according to police.
The agent, a 55-year-old man, told him bikes were not allowed in the station, but the suspect ignored the agent. He allegedly lifted the bicycle over the railing, jumped over himself and started walking toward the train platform.
When the agent followed the suspect punched and kicked him repeatedly, causing serious injuries, before fleeing the station.
The victim was taken to a hospital to be treated for serious injuries. He has since been released but has been unable to return to work, according to police.
Surveillance video of the suspect was captured that evening and was released by police on Thursday.
muni, san francisco news
- Malaysia says jet's disappearance was deliberate
- Woman found dead in Castro Valley home was shot
- Russia vetoes UN resolution on Crimea's future
- CCSF protestors make voices heard at City Hall
- Man fatally stuck by Caltrain near Atherton station
- Investigators finally getting look at Mission Bay fire
- 2-alarm fire damages historic restaurant in Larkspur 22 min ago
- Police arrest woman in connection with shooting
- Crews control one-alarm house fire in Antioch
- Los Angeles subway dig finds prehistoric artifacts 21 min ago
- Honda recalling 886,815 Odyssey minivans 35 min ago
- Photos: Meet the stars where you live
- roundup: AltCar Expo; Motorcyclist killed
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos