San Francisco News
Man arrested in connection with Muni agent assault
SAN FRANCISCO -- Police arrested a San Francisco man who allegedly beat up a Muni agent last month for trying to stop him from taking a bicycle through the pay gates at Van Ness Station.
Devon Riley, 20, was arrested Friday on the Phelan Campus of City College San Francisco after community college police received an anonymous tip, according to San Francisco police.
Riley was interviewed and booked into San Francisco County Jail on suspicion of battery with serious injuries, battery on a transportation operator and mayhem, all felony charges, Sgt. Michael Andraychak said.
The alleged attack occurred on Oct. 10 around 7:10 p.m., after the suspect tried to go through pay gates at the Van Ness station with his bicycle, according to police.
The agent, a 55-year-old man, told him bikes were not allowed in the station, but the suspect ignored the agent. He allegedly lifted the bicycle over the railing, jumped over himself and started walking toward the train platform.
When the agent followed the suspect punched and kicked him repeatedly, causing serious injuries, before fleeing the station.
The victim was taken to a hospital to be treated for serious injuries. He has since been released but has been unable to return to work, according to police.
Surveillance video of the suspect was captured that evening and was released by police on Thursday.
muni, san francisco news
- SF 'landlords from hell' plead guilty to felonies
- Police enforce pedestrian safety with sting operation 29 min ago
- Fire concerns growing as July 4th approaches
- AMA now recognizes obesity as a disease
- New Colo. wildfire prompts evacuations of homes
- Dog that killed 6-year-old boy euthanized
- Panel restores some pay for lawmakers, governor
- ABC7 Top Scholar: Michael Yu
- Woman receives $130B FasTrack bill 11 min ago
- SF LGBT film festival marks 37 years amid SCOTUS rulings
- SF couple uses Task Rabbit, Airbnb apps for profit 51 min ago
- abcnews: Pope invites Down syndrome teen for a spin
- roundup: Potrero Hill stabbing; BART review 22 min ago
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos