San Francisco News
Man arrested in connection with Muni agent assault
SAN FRANCISCO -- Police arrested a San Francisco man who allegedly beat up a Muni agent last month for trying to stop him from taking a bicycle through the pay gates at Van Ness Station.
Devon Riley, 20, was arrested Friday on the Phelan Campus of City College San Francisco after community college police received an anonymous tip, according to San Francisco police.
Riley was interviewed and booked into San Francisco County Jail on suspicion of battery with serious injuries, battery on a transportation operator and mayhem, all felony charges, Sgt. Michael Andraychak said.
The alleged attack occurred on Oct. 10 around 7:10 p.m., after the suspect tried to go through pay gates at the Van Ness station with his bicycle, according to police.
The agent, a 55-year-old man, told him bikes were not allowed in the station, but the suspect ignored the agent. He allegedly lifted the bicycle over the railing, jumped over himself and started walking toward the train platform.
When the agent followed the suspect punched and kicked him repeatedly, causing serious injuries, before fleeing the station.
The victim was taken to a hospital to be treated for serious injuries. He has since been released but has been unable to return to work, according to police.
Surveillance video of the suspect was captured that evening and was released by police on Thursday.
muni, san francisco news
- Oklahoma tornado was top-of-the-scale EF-5 4 min ago
- Search continues for man after Bay to Breakers
- Apple's Cook faces Senate questions on taxes
- Arias tells jury what she'll do if allowed to live
- Photos: Tornado rips through Oklahoma City area
- Senate panel approves immigration bill
- UC hospitals say patients safe despite strike
- More than 100 gas grills put to the test
- Obama opposes GOP bill on Keystone XL pipeline
- Poll: Teens migrating to Twitter
- Photos: San Jose Sharks fan pics!
- abcnews: Hero teacher covered students with body
- roundup: Bay Area Super Bowl; Antioch fire
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
- Super Bowl 50 party begins in Santa Clara
42 min ago
- Khaled Hosseini releases new book on...
24 min ago