San Francisco News
SF sheriff's deputy arrested for robbing bank
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- A San Francisco sheriff's deputy has been arrested and charged for allegedly robbing a bank in the city's Richmond District.
Senior deputy Philip Chun Tong is now in custody at the county jail where, until Friday morning, part of his job as a sheriff's deputy was supervising the inmates.
The 36-year-old is accused of robbing the Bank of America on Balboa Street on November 7.
The district attorney says he walked in at about 4:45 p.m. and handed the teller a demand note. The note said he had a weapon, although he never showed one. The teller gave him $1,700 and he left on foot.
"Well, the residents of San Francisco expect their men and women in uniform to uphold themselves with the highest respect for the law," assistant district attorney Alex Bastian said. "The actions of this particular individual, this defendant, are deplorable. There are going to be serious consequences for them."
Investigators used fingerprints on the demand note and bank surveillance video to identify Tong. He was arrested Friday at 7:30 a.m. outside the jail where he works on Seventh Street.
Here's what we know about him -- Tong became a deputy in 2005 and was assigned to the custody division. He's facing two felony charges, second degree burglary and second degree robbery.
"You can go to state prison for up to five years for robbery, it's a violent offense pursuing to the penal code," Bastian said.
Tong is being held on $150,000 bail. He's expected to be arraigned on Monday afternoon.
richmond district, crime, san francisco news, heather ishimaru
- Strong earthquake strikes off Papua New Guinea 50 min ago
- Former church worker arrested for credit card fraud
- Car hits SF bus stop, seriously injuring woman
- Mudslide causes trees to fall on power lines in Piedmont
- Dog stabbed to death in SF's Mission District
- Mechanic cashes in on SF's high real estate market
- Police raid LA Times building after threat reports
- Mt. Diablo slow to recover after fire
- SF marks 108th anniversary of the 1906 earthquake
- Family at odds with neighbors over pet chickens
- One fatally shot in apparent burglary in Richmond
- 7 On Your Side helps man waiting for gem ring
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday 3 min ago
- roundup: Coachella death; Fireworks incident at...
- Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
1 min ago