San Francisco News
Yee announces plans to run for Secretary of State
SAN FRANCISCO -- State Sen. Leland Yee today announced his intent to run for California secretary of state in the 2014 election.
Yee, D-San Francisco, who will be termed out of office that year, is seeking to head the agency that oversees the state's elections and monitors campaign and lobbyist financial information.
Debra Bowen, the current secretary of state, is also being termed out of office in 2014.
Among his qualifications for the position, Yee cited a law he authored that allowed Californians to register to vote online. More than 1 million people used the system to register or re-register to vote in the Nov. 6 election.
Yee also said he wants to explore the possibility of voting online.
"If we can safely pay our bills via the Internet and board an airplane with a smartphone, we should be able to securely and easily vote electronically as well," Yee said in a statement.
He has authored several laws to increase transparency in state government, including one this year that increased fees for lobbyists to fund the maintenance of Cal-Access, the state's database that tracks campaign contributions and lobbying activity.
Yee is a former San Francisco supervisor who ran for mayor in 2011, finishing in fifth place.
leland yee, san francisco news
- Child support helpline takes callers to sex hotline
- Driver arrested for DUI after fiery I-580 crash
- Federal mediator sitting down with BART, unions
- Police interview potential victims of Livermore golf pro
- Budget approved but no peace: Boehner raps right
- VIRAL VIDEO: Teen sings 'Blue Christmas'...
- Arrests made in "thrill kill" of 7-11 clerk in Milpitas
- Startup sells insurance based on how much you drive 24 min ago
- Tracking the flu -- there's an app for that! 44 min ago
- UN inspectors confirm Syria chemical attack
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events 24 min ago
- Winter Spare the Air called through Thursday
- roundup: High-speed chase; Vallejo homicides 15 min ago
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
- Startup sells insurance based on how much...
24 min ago