San Francisco News
SF firefighters holding 'Dolls of Ethnicity" toy drive
SAN FRANCISCO -- San Francisco firefighters are holding a toy drive this evening focused on collecting ethnic dolls to hand out to children over the holidays.
The Dolls of Ethnicity Drive is taking place from 5:30 to 9 p.m. at Don Ramon's Mexican Restaurante at 225 11th St. in the city's South of Market neighborhood.
The goal of the event, which will be attended by District 5 supervisor-elect London Breed, is to gather the dolls to donate to the African American Art and Culture Complex for its holiday party, where about 500 children will be present.
Event coordinator Jill Peeler said dolls of non-white ethnicities are often hard to find in stores.
"There'll be like six African-American dolls and 100 white dolls," Peeler said.
The San Francisco Firefighters Toy Program, organized by the local firefighters' union, gives about 200 dolls to the Western Addition-based art and culture complex annually. Peeler said that this year, "we wanted to represent the community more than we have been" in previous years.
There will be a raffle and a Santa Claus at this evening's event, which costs $15 for people who show up with a doll to donate and $25 for those without one. Peeler said she expects at least 100 people to attend.
"We're hoping the rain doesn't scare the people away," she said.
The San Francisco Firefighters Toy Program reaches about 40,000 local children annually during the holiday season, according to fire officials. More information about the event and the toy program can be found online at www.sffirefighterstoys.org.
sffd, children, charities, san francisco news
- Only On 7: In-depth look into the life of drug dealers
- Preemie has hope of going home by Christmas
- Driver arrested for DUI after fiery I-580 crash
- Breakthrough awards scientists in Mountain View
- Police interview potential victims of Livermore golf pro
- Arrests made in "thrill kill" of 7-11 clerk in Milpitas
- Startup sells insurance based on how much you drive
- Child support helpline takes callers to sex hotline
- Tracking the flu -- there's an app for that!
- VIRAL VIDEO: Teen sings 'Blue Christmas'...
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- Winter Spare the Air called through Friday
- roundup: High-speed chase; Vallejo homicides
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday