San Francisco News
Several Hanukkah events to be held in SF
SAN FRANCISCO -- Today at sundown marks the start of the eight-day Jewish holiday of Hanukkah and some Bay Area residents will be celebrating by lighting the first candle of the menorah, or candelabra.
In San Francisco, the Festival of Lights, which commemorates the tale of triumph of a small band of Jewish fighters over the Syrian Army, will start shining brightly at Ghirardelli Square tonight.
The Jewish Learning Institute of San Francisco and the Jewish movement group Chabad have teamed up to light a 9-foot menorah at 6 p.m. at the square located at Beach and Larkin streets.
There will be music and food at the second annual family-friendly event, organizers said.
Also in San Francisco, the first night of a 37-year tradition at Union Square will kick off with a lighting ceremony of a 25-foot mahogany menorah at 6 p.m. as part of the Bill Graham Menorah Project.
Jewish hip-hop artist Matisyahu will be lighting the menorah at 7 p.m. before the start of his acoustic Hanukkah tour at the Masonic Center at 8 p.m., event organizer Brian Webster said.
A holiday festival will be held the following day at the downtown plaza starting at 3 p.m. with Mayor Ed Lee, state Sen. Mark Leno, D-San Francisco, and other dignitaries expected to arrive in time for Sunday's 5 p.m. lighting.
There will be a memorial at Sunday's festival for the event's namesake concert promoter Bill Graham's sister, Ester Chichinsky, who recently passed away.
Chichinsky was a Holocaust survivor, Webster said. The lighting ceremony will continue each night at 5 p.m. at Union Square, except for a 3 p.m. lighting next Friday, until the last night on Dec. 15 when the holiday tradition since 1975 will take on something new, Webster said.
At 6:30 p.m. the final night a smaller 10-foot menorah will be lit on the second floor of the Westfield San Francisco Centre mall at 865 Market St.
A final night celebration will follow with Hanukkah treats, dreidel spinning and other family-friendly activities at the free event.
hanukkah, san francisco news
- Freeze warning continues for most of Bay Area 38 min ago
- Elderly man detained in NKorea reunited with family
- Court records show MLB denied A's move to San Jose
- Snow, sleet, ice hit large swath of United States
- Stanford Rose Bowl-bound after beating ASU
- Man fatally stabbed on East 20th Street in Oakland
- Lane of Highway 101 closed after car crashes into pole
- Batkid returns to SF for Make-A-Wish fundraiser
- Thompson has 30 and Warriors top Grizzlies 108-82
- Winter Spare the Air Alert issued for Sunday, Dec. 8
- Photos: Record low temperatures freeze the Bay Area
- abcnews: Fierce winds force pilots to abort landing...
- roundup: Homeless shelter program; Windsor kidnapping
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday