San Francisco News
Man detained after nearly 4-hour standoff in SF
SAN FRANCISCO -- Police detained a man after a lengthy standoff in San Francisco's Nob Hill neighborhood Saturday night, a police spokesman said.
Police responded to a report of a domestic dispute at an apartment building in the 1400 block of California Street, near Hyde Street, at about 6:30 p.m., Officer Carlos Manfredi said.
After just about four hours, the suspect, a man whose name was not released, surrendered peacefully, Manfredi said.
The incident began when a resident of the building overheard a domestic dispute between the man and a woman, Manfredi said.
Police attempted to make contact with the suspect upon arrival, but stepped back outside when they determined he might have had a weapon, Manfredi said.
"A tactical team was brought in when we heard there may have been a firearm, erring on the side of caution," he said.
Surrounding units were evacuated and nearby residents were told to shelter in place during the incident.
Neither the man, nor the woman, involved in the dispute appeared to be physically injured, Manfredi said.
Manfredi said the suspect may have been under the influence at the time of the dispute, but several hours had passed it was hard to determine.
A one-block radius of streets around the building were closed during the standoff, affecting service on the California Street cable car line between Hyde and Larkin streets, Manfredi said.
The streets were reopened at about 11 p.m., he said.
The man was detained on suspicion of domestic violence. The case is under investigation.
standoff, guns, domestic violence, san francisco news
- Four in the South Bay die due to cold weather 6 min ago
- World mourns death of Nelson Mandela
- Audit finds BART police make progress in reforms
- Shelter-in-place advisory lifted for Pittsburg residents
- Apple wants Samsung to pay $22M for legal bills
- Security guard captures driver who hit cop
- Judge refuses to block AA, US Airways merger
- Holiday Heroes event to help children in need
- Craigslist ad asks to rent family for Christmas
- Banksy mural fetches $209K at California auction
- Photos: Record low temperatures freeze the Bay Area
- abcnews: 5 unexpected facts about Nelson Mandela
- roundup: Teen struck in crosswalk; EPA shooting
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos