San Francisco News
Police mark 6th anniversary of slain officer's death
SAN FRANCISCO -- San Francisco police are quietly marking the sixth anniversary this weekend of the fatal shooting of Officer Bryan Tuvera, who was killed while trying to apprehend an escapee from a state correctional work camp.
Tuvera, 28, was among the officers attempting to detain Marlon Ruff, 33, on Dec. 22, 2006 in the Sunset District, according to police.
After police spotted Ruff on 25th Avenue, he fled into a home near 25th Avenue and Lawton Street and went into the garage. When police tried to move in, he opened fire, striking Tuvera.
Another officer returned fire and killed Ruff at the scene.
Tuvera, a four-and-a-half year veteran of the police department, died at San Francisco General Hospital the next day.
In previous years, police have held candlelight vigils and walks in the neighborhood where Tuvera was shot. Last year's vigil, however, was the last such event to be held in Tuvera's honor.
While the department continues to honor Tuvera, members of the public wishing to pay their respects can visit the Community Room dedicated in his name at the Taraval Police Station on Sunday between 3 p.m. and 8 p.m.
A memorial garden was also created at McCoppin Square Park in Tuvera's honor on Nov. 19, 2012, and the public can visit that garden during regular park hours.
The Taraval Police Station is located at 2345 24th Ave.
SFPD, crime, san francisco news
- Four people in the South Bay die due to cold weather
- Cal students led move toward divestment
- Craigslist ad asks to rent family for Christmas
- Local schools race to keep up with technology
- North Korea deports elderly Palo Alto man
- Man suspected of throwing 2 cats into bay arrested
- Make-A-Wish, Macy's team up to help Daly City girl
- New option studied for treating back pain
- SF man calls 7 On Your Side to help in luggage mixup
- Photos: Record low temperatures freeze the Bay Area
- GET FREE STUFF: Dog bow tie; makeup
- abcnews: Fierce winds force pilots to abort landing...
- roundup: Teen struck in crosswalk; EPA shooting
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
- Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
52 min ago