San Francisco News
CCSF students, teachers protest over budget
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- It was a morning of protests Friday at San Francisco City College with teachers demanding to know more about the future of the school which is in danger of losing its accreditation. Classes resume on Monday, but teachers were there Friday to listen to what the interim chancellor had to say about the progress the college is making.
The college has been trying to come up with a stable budget plan and has until March 15 to do so. The chancellor confirmed they will miss that deadline, but administrators are hopeful they can convince the state they are making huge progress and are close to resolving all their issues. They just need a little bit more time.
About 200 teachers and some students marched Friday to try to force administrators to include them in their budgetary decisions. Of concern, is Proposition A, the measure recently passed in San Francisco that would bring $14 million a year to help prevent layoffs and restore classes.
"We want more transparency. We want accountability and we want respect," teacher Wendy Kaufmyn said.
"The Prop A monies will be utilized in the appropriate fashion and legally, that it was contained to do. It will be utilized appropriately," Interim Chancellor Thelma Scott-Skillman said.
That money won't be available until the end of this year. In the meantime, the college has been told by the state that it must work as hard as it can and as quickly as it can on the budget plan, including increasing its financial reserves.
budget cuts, protest, school cuts, san francisco news, lyanne melendez
- 1 dead, 2 injured in Redwood City boating accident
- Mother, child killed in San Francisco fire
- San Francisco officials plan to crack down on "420"
- SF Chinese community faces fallout from Yee arrest
- Possible explosive prompts evacuations in Solvang
- Firetruck rams California eatery; 15 injured
- BART unveils new train car design in SF
- Man accused of killing Sierra LaMar appears in court
- VIDEO: Man kicked in head taking selfie in...
- Angels beat A's 5-4 on Iannetta's HR in 12th
- Photos: The 10 worst jobs for 2014
- San Jose Sharks holding rally to kick off playoff run
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- roundup: Fatal house fire in SF; Oakland shooting
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos