San Francisco News
Man accused of raping woman pleads not guilty
SAN FRANCISCO -- A man accused of raping a woman during a home invasion in San Francisco's Telegraph Hill neighborhood last weekend pleaded not guilty Friday to nine felony charges, a district attorney's office spokesman said.
Jovan Jones, 25, faces charges that include rape, robbery and burglary with the intent to commit sexual assault for the attack that was reported around 8 p.m. last Saturday on Alta Street, located just southeast of Coit Tower.
Jones remains in custody on $5 million bail and will return to court on Feb. 4 to set a preliminary hearing, district attorney's office spokesman Alex Bastian said.
The incident began when the 26-year-old victim was talking on a cellphone and entering her home when Jones allegedly forced his way in, then robbed and sexually assaulted her, Bastian said.
The person on the other end of the call notified police and officers responded to the home. Jones allegedly threatened the woman and told her to be quiet, but she was able to get to a rear balcony where she screamed for help, according to Bastian.
Jones then jumped from a balcony with a backpack filled with the victim's belongings but was later found hiding behind some nearby trashcans after a search that included a California Highway Patrol helicopter, Bastian said.
Investigators also determined that Jones was responsible for another recent robbery elsewhere in the city, Bastian said.
He said Jones faces a maximum sentence of multiple life terms in prison if convicted of all charges.
crime, sex crimes, san francisco news
- SF officials prepare for 102nd Bay to Breakers race
- Albany residents protest return of Occupy activists
- Suspicious package in Livermore prompts evacuation
- Konig wins 7th stage, van Garderen retains lead
- Pacers knock out Knicks with 106-99 win in Game 6
- Milone's long skid ends as A's beat Royals
- Chatwood leads Rockies past Giants 10-2
- Teen dies after refusing to give iPad to thieves
- Up to 60 injured after car drives into Va. parade
- San Jose man arrested for alleged road rage attack
- Miami Heat player surprises student at prom
- abcnews: Men Struggle With Wives' Breast Cancer
- roundup: America's Cup race; Murder charges
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday