San Francisco News
Man accused of raping woman pleads not guilty
SAN FRANCISCO -- A man accused of raping a woman during a home invasion in San Francisco's Telegraph Hill neighborhood last weekend pleaded not guilty Friday to nine felony charges, a district attorney's office spokesman said.
Jovan Jones, 25, faces charges that include rape, robbery and burglary with the intent to commit sexual assault for the attack that was reported around 8 p.m. last Saturday on Alta Street, located just southeast of Coit Tower.
Jones remains in custody on $5 million bail and will return to court on Feb. 4 to set a preliminary hearing, district attorney's office spokesman Alex Bastian said.
The incident began when the 26-year-old victim was talking on a cellphone and entering her home when Jones allegedly forced his way in, then robbed and sexually assaulted her, Bastian said.
The person on the other end of the call notified police and officers responded to the home. Jones allegedly threatened the woman and told her to be quiet, but she was able to get to a rear balcony where she screamed for help, according to Bastian.
Jones then jumped from a balcony with a backpack filled with the victim's belongings but was later found hiding behind some nearby trashcans after a search that included a California Highway Patrol helicopter, Bastian said.
Investigators also determined that Jones was responsible for another recent robbery elsewhere in the city, Bastian said.
He said Jones faces a maximum sentence of multiple life terms in prison if convicted of all charges.
crime, sex crimes, san francisco news
- Three-year-old boy thrown from fire in Hayward
- Albertsons parent Cerberus to buy Safeway
- Peninsula cold case murders linked to Reno killing
- 7 On Your Side: The dark side of green lighting
- Two injured in two-alarm fire in San Jose
- Accident cleared from EB lanes of the Bay Bridge 59 min ago
- Senate blocks change to military sex assault cases
- Oakland mayor to deliver State of the City address
- Oakland teen accused in AC Transit fire in court
- Batkid was scheduled to appear at Oscars
- Some have privacy concerns with wearable technology
- Wheel of Fortune is coming to Northern California!
- roundup: Nob Hill gas leak; Scam warning
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday