San Francisco News
High surf warnings create challenges for surfers
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- A high surf advisory is in effect in the Bay Area. It's good news for surfers preparing for Sunday's Mavericks competition. But it wasn't good for several surfers who got caught up in the rough surf.
A Coast Guard spokesman tells ABC7 News that two surfers got in trouble in Dillon Beach in Marin County. One of them had to be pulled from the water by a rescue boat.
And at Ocean Beach in San Francisco, rescue crews were called in to help six surfers. Strong rip tides near The Cliff House created a challenge for those surfers.
A Coast Guard helicopter helped locate some of them. Rescue boats also patrolled the beach as part of the effort.
One of the surfers may have suffered a minor shoulder injury, but none of them had to plucked out of the water.
High surf warnings are in effect all weekend, which is creating challenges for surfers throughout the Bay Area.
"It's definitely a heavier wave today," said surfer Sean Moler. "I come down to Linda Mar a lot and it's normally pretty light and easy. Today it feels more like Ocean Beach. They're calling them the sneaker waves, the occasional rogue wave that comes through."
At Linda Mar in Pacifica, surfers spent a sunny day out on the water. No calls for service from rescue teams there.
But the high surf warning stays in effect through Sunday afternoon, which is when the Mavericks competition in Half Moon Bay should be wrapping up for the day.
Organizers will no doubt be keeping their eyes on surf conditions there.
ocean beach, pacifica, marin county, coast guard, rescue, mavericks, san francisco news
- Family: Children's Hospital calls girl 'dead'
- Senator Harry Reid in hospital for observation 14 min ago
- BART Board president wants to ban transit strikes
- 'Duck Dynasty' fans react to Robertson's hiatus
- SFFD battle 1-alarm blaze near the Panhandle 49 min ago
- San Jose charity 3,000 short of toy distribution goal
- '628' area code to begin in '415' region in 2015 35 min ago
- Last minute Christmas shopping is in full swing
- 'Wonder Girl' cancer patient is inspiration for Vallejo
- Only On 7: Sneak peek at the SF Zoo's baby gorilla
- abcnews: Dennis Rodman does karaoke in NKorea
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: CPUC fines PG&E; Homeless memorial 59 min ago
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos