San Francisco News
New jazz center opens in Hayes Valley
SAN FRANCISCO -- A new building dedicated solely to jazz opened in San Francisco today with a colorful ribbon-cutting ceremony.
The SFJAZZ Center, located at 201 Franklin St. in the city's Hayes Valley neighborhood, opened its doors today to a brass band playing the tune "When the Saints Go Marching In" while members of the public went on tours of the new building.
The three-story complex features a 700-seat auditorium as well as educational and administrative space.
"It's a building that celebrates every voice," said Randall Kline, who founded SFJAZZ in 1983, initially as a weekend festival called "Jazz in the City."
Felice Swapp, the executive operating director of SFJAZZ, called jazz "America's classical music" and said the new center will allow the organization to "nurture new talents, nurture new loves."
One such talent is Laila Smith, an 18-year-old who was a member of the SFJAZZ High School All Stars.
"Jazz is not about doing things right, it's about passion," Smith said. "It's about heart and soul and telling a story."
A sold-out opening night concert, scheduled for Wednesday, will be hosted by Bill Cosby and feature performances by McCoy Tyner, Chick Corea, Esperanza Spalding and others.
More information about the new building and other upcoming shows can be found online at www.sfjazz.org.
hayes valley, san francisco news
- Search on for man who went missing after B2B race
- Concession workers launch one-day strike at AT&T
- Gay soccer player Robbie Rogers joins LA Galaxy
- Santa Cruz police arrest crime plot mastermind
- PG&E disputes record fine for San Bruno blast 37 min ago
- Scouts honor veterans at annual Memorial Day event 38 min ago
- Police position DUI checkpoints in unsuspecting areas
- San Jose structure fire displaces 5 people
- Limos without valid permits listed on airport website
- Walnut Creek student dies after brain hemorrhage
- I-5 bridge collapse raises Bay Area safety questions
- abcnews: McDonald's CEO scolded by 9-year-old
- roundup: Machete murder; PG&E fights fine
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday
- Scouts honor veterans at annual Memorial...
38 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos