San Francisco News
Exchange student assaulted on trail near BART station
SOUTH SAN FRANCISCO -- A 19-year-old female Japanese exchange student was assaulted Wednesday evening in South San Francisco, according to police.
At about 5:45 p.m., the victim descended from a BART train at the South San Francisco station, police said.
She was walking southbound on the Centennial Way trail when an unknown male approached her and asked for her name.
When the woman refused to speak with the male suspect, he grabbed her by her arm, according to police.
The woman was able to break free from the suspect's grasp. She began running southbound on the trail. The suspect chased after her for several feet until she passed another pedestrian, at which point the suspect his pursuit, police said.
The suspect has been described as possibly Hispanic or Asian, about 30 years old and between 5 feet 7 inches and 5 feet 9 inches tall, with a medium build.
He was described as clean shaven, and was wearing a white, long-sleeved hooded sweatshirt with the hood up and dark-colored pants or blue jeans at the time of the assault, police said.
Anyone with information is asked to contact police at (650) 877-8900.
South San Francisco police are encouraging citizens to avoid walking alone, especially in secluded areas.
BART, crime, south san francisco, san francisco news
- Santa Cruz police arrest crime plot mastermind
- Thieves target True Religion jeans
- I-5 bridge collapse raises Bay Area safety questions
- Damage reported after 5.7 quake in Greenville
- Police position DUI checkpoints in unsuspecting areas
- Limos without valid permits listed on airport website
- Shift in tactics may be helping Oakland police
- 3-D printer helps save dying baby with rare disease
- Lawmakers want to restore dental care to Medi-Cal
- Walnut Creek student dies after brain hemorrhage
- NASA Ames focusing on advanced manufacturing
- abcnews: McDonald's CEO scolded by 9-year-old
- roundup: Bicyclist killed ID'd; Unsolved murder
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday