San Francisco News
Body found in water near San Francisco's Pier 48
SAN FRANCISCO -- A body was found in the water off of San Francisco's Pier 48 Thursday morning, a police spokesman said.
A marine unit from the Police Department spotted the body in the Bay at 10:37 a.m. off of the pier just south of AT&T Park, police spokesman Officer Albie Esparza said.
No information about the gender or identity of the body was immediately available Thursday morning.
Esparza said, "It appears the body had been in the water for a while."
The case has been handed over to the medical examiner's office, which will determine whether the death was a suicide or suspicious.
City officials announced this week that Pier 48 will soon be the home of a new Anchor Brewing restaurant as part of the Mission Rock development owned by the San Francisco Giants.
san francisco bay, SFPD, san francisco news
- Mold forces firefighters to evacuate TI firehouse
- UC system issues new policy to handle sexual assaults
- Husband arrested in cold case murder of SJ woman
- Cyberbullying bill responds to Audrie Pott's suicide
- 10-year-old San Leandro boy found safe
- Malaysia loses contact with plane carrying 239
- Salesforce celebrates birthday with fundraiser party
- Oakland school locked down after report of assault
- Little girl donates hair to cancer patients
- Three-year-old boy thrown from fire in Hayward
- Special ed cheerleading squad thrills Livermore HS
- Wheel of Fortune is in Northern California!
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday 8 min ago
- roundup: Embassy Suites body; SJ home fire
- Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
8 min ago