San Francisco News
Thousands gather for San Francisco's Chinese New Year parade
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- Thousands gathered in San Francisco Saturday for the annual Chinese New Year parade. At one point you could see a line of spectators about five people deep along the parade route, with some on their tippy toes trying to get a look at the spectacle.
Though a traditional Chinese dragon was among the first to take the streets at the head of the parade, we just wrapped up the Year of the Dragon. This Chinese New Year parade celebrates the kick off the Year of the Snake.
Dance troupes, marching bands, and floats were among the 100 different groups participating in this parade, making it among the biggest of its kind.
People from around the world come here to watch this event.
The parade zigzagged through downtown area, headed over to Union Square, then wrapped up in Chinatown.
chinatown, fireworks, san francisco news
- Four people in the South Bay die due to cold weather 16 min ago
- North Korea deports elderly Palo Alto man 24 min ago
- Cal students led move toward divestment
- Local schools race to keep up with technology
- Craigslist ad asks to rent family for Christmas
- Man suspected of throwing 2 cats into bay arrested
- Make-A-Wish, Macy's team up to help Daly City girl
- New option studied for treating back pain
- SF man calls 7 On Your Side to help in luggage mixup
- Photos: Record low temperatures freeze the Bay Area
- GET FREE STUFF: Dog bow tie; makeup
- abcnews: Fierce winds force pilots to abort landing...
- roundup: Teen struck in crosswalk; EPA shooting
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday