San Francisco News
Thousands gather for San Francisco's Chinese New Year parade
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- Thousands gathered in San Francisco Saturday for the annual Chinese New Year parade. At one point you could see a line of spectators about five people deep along the parade route, with some on their tippy toes trying to get a look at the spectacle.
Though a traditional Chinese dragon was among the first to take the streets at the head of the parade, we just wrapped up the Year of the Dragon. This Chinese New Year parade celebrates the kick off the Year of the Snake.
Dance troupes, marching bands, and floats were among the 100 different groups participating in this parade, making it among the biggest of its kind.
People from around the world come here to watch this event.
The parade zigzagged through downtown area, headed over to Union Square, then wrapped up in Chinatown.
chinatown, fireworks, san francisco news
- Fremont firefighters investigate three suspicious fires 44 min ago
- Investigators to speak with shot San Francisco officer 29 min ago
- Petaluma police searching for suspected drive-thru thief 35 min ago
- Wolff: Temporary baseball stadium for A's possible
- 6.9 earthquake rattles Northern California
- State senator to introduce utility security legislation 28 min ago
- Stolen EBMUD truck found in Castro Valley 16 min ago
- All lanes clear on I-80 in Vacaville after fatal crash
- Teenage boy killed trying to walk across Highway 85
- Tucson courting car maker Tesla for 6,500 jobs
- Gov. Brown booed by anti-fracking protesters
- Toddler uses FaceTime to save mom after dog attack
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
- roundup: Surfer rescued; Fatal Oakland crash
- Campaign looks to end use of 'bossy' with...
6 min ago
- Investigators to speak with shot San...
29 min ago