San Francisco News
Former Pres. Carter critical of Obama during SF speech
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- Ben Affleck's movie "Argo" was one of the topics former President Jimmy Carter criticized Sunday during a speech in San Francisco. He also didn't hold back his criticism of President Obama's handling of perceived nuclear threats from North Korea and Iran.
The Herbst Theatre was sold out for Carter's Sunday afternoon appearance at th Commonwealth Club. The former president spoke first about his Carter Center's commitment to peace worldwide. Then, he criticized the present administration regarding its dealings with North Korea and Iran.
"Our country is now looked upon as the foremost war-like nation on earth and there is almost a complete dearth now of commitment of America to negotiate differences with others," Carter said.
He believes that instead of sanctions against Iran and North Korea, the U.S. should use the promise of lifting those sanctions to negotiate, especially with North Korea.
"Not a single day of talks with North Korea since President Obama has been in office," Carter said.
Carter's one hour-long conversation covered his opposition to the death penalty and concern about the use of U.S. drones to kill Americans overseas. He also spoke about the lack of influence the U.S. now has on what is occurring in Israel, where he negotiated a peace treaty.
"The United States has, you might say, zero influence either in Jerusalem or among the Palestinians, and I'm very grieved about that," Carter said.
He also waded into the controversy over how the Canadians are portrayed in the film "Argo," saying he wished they had gotten more credit for saving the Iran hostages during his presidency.
"Because of his commitment to peace, I think his perspectives would be the voice of reason in the debate," one attendee said.
Besides saying that Affleck took liberties with the actual events in 1979, he liked the film and wished it well for the Oscars.
jimmy carter, barack obama, north korea, iran, palestine, canada, war, san francisco news
- Teen survives flight from SJC to Hawaii in wheel well
- PG&E to be arraigned in fatal San Bruno blast 48 min ago
- Good Samaritan pulls boy from water in San Leandro
- Divers recover more bodies from sunken ferry
- Barricaded man taken into custody in San Jose
- Kraft recalls 96,000 pounds of Oscar Mayer wieners 55 min ago
- San Francisco officer dragged by suspect getaway car
- Fairfield resident killed, boy injured after shooting
- At least 10 arrested at "420" celebration in SF
- Highway 1 reopens after major injury crash
- Posey, Lincecum lead San Francisco Giants to 4-3 win
- Boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
- roundup: Fatal shooting in Concord; Piedmont landslide
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos