San Francisco News
Former Pres. Carter critical of Obama during SF speech
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- Ben Affleck's movie "Argo" was one of the topics former President Jimmy Carter criticized Sunday during a speech in San Francisco. He also didn't hold back his criticism of President Obama's handling of perceived nuclear threats from North Korea and Iran.
The Herbst Theatre was sold out for Carter's Sunday afternoon appearance at th Commonwealth Club. The former president spoke first about his Carter Center's commitment to peace worldwide. Then, he criticized the present administration regarding its dealings with North Korea and Iran.
"Our country is now looked upon as the foremost war-like nation on earth and there is almost a complete dearth now of commitment of America to negotiate differences with others," Carter said.
He believes that instead of sanctions against Iran and North Korea, the U.S. should use the promise of lifting those sanctions to negotiate, especially with North Korea.
"Not a single day of talks with North Korea since President Obama has been in office," Carter said.
Carter's one hour-long conversation covered his opposition to the death penalty and concern about the use of U.S. drones to kill Americans overseas. He also spoke about the lack of influence the U.S. now has on what is occurring in Israel, where he negotiated a peace treaty.
"The United States has, you might say, zero influence either in Jerusalem or among the Palestinians, and I'm very grieved about that," Carter said.
He also waded into the controversy over how the Canadians are portrayed in the film "Argo," saying he wished they had gotten more credit for saving the Iran hostages during his presidency.
"Because of his commitment to peace, I think his perspectives would be the voice of reason in the debate," one attendee said.
Besides saying that Affleck took liberties with the actual events in 1979, he liked the film and wished it well for the Oscars.
jimmy carter, barack obama, north korea, iran, palestine, canada, war, san francisco news
- Water main break floods Castro Valley neighborhood
- Four people in the South Bay die due to cold weather
- North Korea deports elderly Palo Alto man
- Cal students led move toward divestment
- Craigslist ad asks to rent family for Christmas
- Local schools race to keep up with technology
- Man suspected of throwing 2 cats into bay arrested
- Make-A-Wish, Macy's team up to help Daly City girl
- New option studied for treating back pain
- SF man calls 7 On Your Side to help in luggage mixup
- Photos: Record low temperatures freeze the Bay Area
- abcnews: Fierce winds force pilots to abort landing...
- roundup: Teen struck in crosswalk; EPA shooting
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday