San Francisco News
Police fatally shoot suspect after chase from Daly City to SF
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- An investigation is underway after a police officer shot and killed a man after he led them on a chase early Saturday morning. The pursuit started at John Daly Boulevard and Santa Barbara Avenue in Daly City and ended at Hester Avenue and Bayshore Boulevard in San Francisco.
"It's a scary to think about it," resident Dimitar Filipov said. "I haven't been out. This is the first time I'm out this morning."
Filipov lives about 40 yards from where San Francisco and Daly City police stopped a man driving a stolen vehicle. He says he heard gunshots at about 12:30 am.
"We were in bed and all of a sudden I hear four or five shots, and woke me up," Filipov said.
Evidence numbers mark the spots where shell casings fell on Hester Avenue behind the Bayside Cafe. Police told us that the chase, which ended in a suspect being shot to death, started in Daly City early Saturday morning.
Police say the stolen car was spotted on John Daly Boulevard and Santa Barbara Avenue. Daly City police began a pursuit that took them on Highway 280. They gave up the chase as they hit Highway 101.
By phone, San Francisco police Officer Carlos Manfredi talked about what happened next, "SFPD officers observed the vehicle on southbound San Bruno Avenue and followed behind it," he said.
The two suspects stopped the car on Hester Avenue. Police say the passenger surrendered but the driver, who had been seen with a gun, ran away.
"Who then raised the gun at the officers," Officer Manfredi said. "The Daly City police officer, fearing for his life, then discharged his firearm at the suspect."
According to Manfredi, the man died from a gunshot to the torso.
"It's not something that we're used to around here," Filipov said. "And we definitely don't want something like this to happen here."
Offiicals have not released the identity of the driver or the passenger.
A San Francisco police officer was injured when the suspect's car rolled into the officer's vehicle as he was getting out.
Police are asking anyone with information to give them a call.
SFPD, shooting, crime, daly city, guns, police chase, candlestick park, san francisco news
- SJ store owner gets $1M for selling winning ticket
- Family holds prayer vigil for girl on life support
- Two cars gifted in annual East Bay holiday tradition
- Behind-the-scenes: Saying farewell to 'The Stick'
- Caltrans says Bay Bridge bolt problem fixed
- Another mistake found in BART union contract
- San Francisco considers ban on bottled water
- UC proposes plan to prevent deer, car collisions
- Hero guide dog assured good home after NY rescue
- 7 OYS puts waterproof smartphone case to the test
- abcnews: Justin Bieber says 'I'm Retiring' from music
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Foreclosure program; Plastic water bottle ban
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
25 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos