San Francisco News
Woman in custody after attempted burglary, standoff in SF
SAN FRANCISCO -- A woman caught breaking into a Lyon Street home Sunday afternoon held police off with a shotgun for more than two hours before she was taken into custody, police said.
Residents on the 2800 block of Lyon Street called police around 3 p.m. after they returned to their home and discovered a burglary in progress, according to Lt. Peter Thoshinsky.
The burglar, a 22-year-old woman, ordered the residents out of the house, and they fled and called 911, Thoshinsky said.
Officers responding to the scene found the woman standing at the window of the home holding a shotgun that belonged to the residents, Thoshinsky said.
Police called for her surrender, but when she refused they evacuated surrounding homes and called in the SWAT team and hostage negotiators.
After around two hours and 15 minutes, the woman came outside, holding the shotgun in one hand, and a hatchet in the other, Thoshinsky said.
SWAT officers ordered her to drop the weapons, and after a short standoff she threw them on the ground and was taken into custody, Thoshinsky said.
The woman is currently refusing to provide her identity to police, Thoshinsky said.
Investigators have learned since her arrest that the shotgun was legally owned and registered by the resident, and was unloaded and equipped with a trigger lock, Thoshinsky said.
Investigators have not yet determined whether the woman was involved in any other burglaries in the area, or whether any items were taken or broken during the incident.
No injuries were reported.
standoff, guns, crime, SFPD, san francisco news
- Family: Children's Hospital calls girl 'dead' 50 min ago
- BART Board president wants to ban transit strikes
- Dozens hurt after London theater partially collapsed
- 'Duck Dynasty' fans react to Robertson's hiatus
- 'Wonder Girl' cancer patient is inspiration for Vallejo
- Report says bullying of American-Islamic kids on rise
- 1 dead, dozens hurt in California bus crashes
- Seismic saddles in place on new Bay Bridge
- Only On 7: Sneak peek at the SF Zoo's baby gorilla
- 7 On Your Side looks into Lyft's donation policy
- abcnews: Dennis Rodman does karaoke in NKorea
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Toy drive in need; Timeshare sales scam
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos