San Francisco News
AR-15 semi-automatic rifle stolen from San Francisco police
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- San Francisco police are on alert after one of their weapons was stolen. It's serious business when any police weapon is stolen or unaccounted for, but this is an AR-15 semi-automatic rifle. In the wrong hands, they say it could be big trouble.
A number of SFPD patrol units are assigned AR-15's along with shotguns. ABC7 News has learned that an unmarked squad car was broken into recently and that one of the rifles was taken.
Police are not giving specifics about when and where this happened, but a credible source in the department is confirming that an AR-15 was taken from an unmarked squad car.
Every hour on Sunday police issued radio broadcast warnings to officers, telling them to be on the lookout for the AR-15 for their own safety.
Monday Night Update: The AR-15 rifle that was stolen out of an unmarked SFPD vehicle has been recovered.
SFPD, guns, crime, san francisco news
- Search on for man who went missing after B2B race 59 min ago
- Concession workers launch one-day strike at AT&T 47 min ago
- Gay soccer player Robbie Rogers joins LA Galaxy
- Santa Cruz police arrest crime plot mastermind
- PG&E disputes record fine for San Bruno blast 23 min ago
- Scouts honor veterans at annual Memorial Day event 24 min ago
- Police position DUI checkpoints in unsuspecting areas
- San Jose structure fire displaces 5 people
- Limos without valid permits listed on airport website
- Walnut Creek student dies after brain hemorrhage
- I-5 bridge collapse raises Bay Area safety questions
- abcnews: McDonald's CEO scolded by 9-year-old
- roundup: Machete murder; PG&E fights fine
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday
- Scouts honor veterans at annual Memorial...
24 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos