San Francisco News
AR-15 semi-automatic rifle stolen from San Francisco police
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- San Francisco police are on alert after one of their weapons was stolen. It's serious business when any police weapon is stolen or unaccounted for, but this is an AR-15 semi-automatic rifle. In the wrong hands, they say it could be big trouble.
A number of SFPD patrol units are assigned AR-15's along with shotguns. ABC7 News has learned that an unmarked squad car was broken into recently and that one of the rifles was taken.
Police are not giving specifics about when and where this happened, but a credible source in the department is confirming that an AR-15 was taken from an unmarked squad car.
Every hour on Sunday police issued radio broadcast warnings to officers, telling them to be on the lookout for the AR-15 for their own safety.
Monday Night Update: The AR-15 rifle that was stolen out of an unmarked SFPD vehicle has been recovered.
SFPD, guns, crime, san francisco news
- World leaders, South Africans honor Mandela
- Frigid Bay Area weather takes deadly turn
- Only On 7: Federal drug agents sweep Tenderloin
- Protesters halt Google's commuter bus in SF
- Black ice on I-280 near crash in San Mateo County 52 min ago
- NTSB hearing on Asiana crash at SFO postponed
- SF firefighters gain upper hand on Recology plant fire
- Female teacher arrested for sexually abusing student
- Man held in N. Korea say statement was coerced
- Winter Spare the Air called through Tuesday
- Photos: Record low temperatures freeze the Bay Area
- abcnews: Newlyweds accused in thrill-kill murder
- roundup: Rising tides; Teen shot in SF
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Tuesday
- Bay Area weather forecast for Tuesday
35 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos