San Francisco News
Hostage situation ends peacefully in SF's Bayview
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- San Francisco police have ended a seven hour standoff at a marijuana grow in the Bayview. It began with a robbery, then hostage-taking and finally with several people arrested. Police feared for the safety of people inside so they took every precaution to resolve the situation without injuries.
It all began unfolding just before 4 a.m. around Wallace Avenue and Jennings Street with a takeover robbery at the pot grow. Police chased and arrested four men shortly after the robbery, but one suspect refused to come out of the building. The man had four hostages, who were released at 8 a.m.. The hostages were workers at the marijuana grow; they all appear to be okay.
"A tactical team along with a police K9 entered the building. They announced their presence and the dog barked. As they made their way through the building the suspect surrendered stating that he did not want to be bitten by the police dog. So I think the dog gets credit for the arrest in this case and the tactical officers then took the suspect into custody," said San Francisco Police Sgt. Michael Andraychak.
At least one of the suspects was armed. The SFPD believes there are no other suspects.
Police found 1,000 marijuana plants inside the building and haven't determined if this was a legal grow. An SFPD investigative unit is at the scene.
bayview hunters point, crime, medical marijuana, san francisco news, amy hollyfield
- Two fires break out near each other in Hayward 44 min ago
- Albertsons parent Cerberus to buy Safeway
- Peninsula cold case murders linked to Reno killing
- 7 On Your Side: The dark side of green lighting
- Two injured in two-alarm fire in San Jose 3 min ago
- Senate blocks change to military sex assault cases
- Oakland mayor to deliver State of the City address
- Oakland teen accused in AC Transit fire in court
- Batkid was scheduled to appear at Oscars
- Bryan Stow attackers charged with federal crimes
- Some have privacy concerns with wearable technology
- Wheel of Fortune is coming to Northern California!
- roundup: Nob Hill gas leak; Scam warning
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos