San Francisco News
Hostage situation ends peacefully in SF's Bayview
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- San Francisco police have ended a seven hour standoff at a marijuana grow in the Bayview. It began with a robbery, then hostage-taking and finally with several people arrested. Police feared for the safety of people inside so they took every precaution to resolve the situation without injuries.
It all began unfolding just before 4 a.m. around Wallace Avenue and Jennings Street with a takeover robbery at the pot grow. Police chased and arrested four men shortly after the robbery, but one suspect refused to come out of the building. The man had four hostages, who were released at 8 a.m.. The hostages were workers at the marijuana grow; they all appear to be okay.
"A tactical team along with a police K9 entered the building. They announced their presence and the dog barked. As they made their way through the building the suspect surrendered stating that he did not want to be bitten by the police dog. So I think the dog gets credit for the arrest in this case and the tactical officers then took the suspect into custody," said San Francisco Police Sgt. Michael Andraychak.
At least one of the suspects was armed. The SFPD believes there are no other suspects.
Police found 1,000 marijuana plants inside the building and haven't determined if this was a legal grow. An SFPD investigative unit is at the scene.
bayview hunters point, crime, medical marijuana, san francisco news, amy hollyfield
- Four people in the South Bay die due to cold weather 27 min ago
- World mourns death of Nelson Mandela
- Audit finds BART police make progress in reforms
- Shelter-in-place advisory lifted for Pittsburg residents
- Man suspected of throwing 2 cats into bay arrested 31 min ago
- Security guard captures driver who hit cop
- Holiday Heroes event to help children in need
- Craigslist ad asks to rent family for Christmas
- Bay Area family competing in national Christmas light competition
- Photos: Record low temperatures freeze the Bay Area
- GET FREE STUFF: Dog bow tie; makeup 14 min ago
- abcnews: Fierce winds force pilots to abort landing... 2 min ago
- roundup: Teen struck in crosswalk; EPA shooting
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday