San Francisco News
Hostage situation ends peacefully in SF's Bayview
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- San Francisco police have ended a seven hour standoff at a marijuana grow in the Bayview. It began with a robbery, then hostage-taking and finally with several people arrested. Police feared for the safety of people inside so they took every precaution to resolve the situation without injuries.
It all began unfolding just before 4 a.m. around Wallace Avenue and Jennings Street with a takeover robbery at the pot grow. Police chased and arrested four men shortly after the robbery, but one suspect refused to come out of the building. The man had four hostages, who were released at 8 a.m.. The hostages were workers at the marijuana grow; they all appear to be okay.
"A tactical team along with a police K9 entered the building. They announced their presence and the dog barked. As they made their way through the building the suspect surrendered stating that he did not want to be bitten by the police dog. So I think the dog gets credit for the arrest in this case and the tactical officers then took the suspect into custody," said San Francisco Police Sgt. Michael Andraychak.
At least one of the suspects was armed. The SFPD believes there are no other suspects.
Police found 1,000 marijuana plants inside the building and haven't determined if this was a legal grow. An SFPD investigative unit is at the scene.
bayview hunters point, crime, medical marijuana, san francisco news, amy hollyfield
- Memorial takes place in SF to honor Mandela 11 min ago
- Firefighters control 4-alarm fire in Concord
- Bay Area freeze extends longer than expected
- Protest gets heated for Santa Rosa teen shot
- NTSB: Asiana captain worried about visual landing
- Only On 7: SF kids describe obstacles in Tenderloin
- Golf pro charged with sexually abusing boys
- Richmond police searching for young runaway sisters
- SF Giants pitcher inspired by Batkid to give
- Husband's tutu project gets T-Mobile's support
- Winter Spare the Air called through Wednesday
- abcnews: Obama poses for selfie at Mandela's memorial
- roundup: Golf pro charged; Xmas tree in Bay
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos