San Francisco News
Marijuana grow house discovered at site of San Francisco fire
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- A San Francisco firefighter is being treated for injuries after a fire in the Sunset District. Flames broke out in a building on 8th Avenue at Noriega Street. And now fire investigators have learned there was a marijuana grow inside.
Officials say the firefighter will be okay. They say he fell inside the three story home and hurt his shoulder. He's being treated at the hospital now.
No one else hurt and no one had to be rescued. No people were inside the home, but investigators did find something inside the apartment -- marijuana.
The fire department says the entire home was a massive grow house; two floors were dedicated to growing marijuana plants, while the other was solely for drying them.
The fire broke out Wednesday just after 8 a.m. A neighbor saw smoke and called 911. Investigators say the cause is likely electrical. They believe whoever was operating this overrode the home's electrical system and that somehow sparked a fire. Officials say this is typical of a grow house.
The homes are attached and it was windy, which was a real danger to homes on either side of the fire.
"Very dangerous to mess around with this electricity," SFFD Lt. Mindy Talmadge said. "As you can see, this is oftentimes the result. There were families living in homes on either side, could have potentially led to some serious injuries."
"Around this neighborhood it's pretty expensive to live over here," neighbor Eileen Rizzo said. "So you would think it wouldn't happen over here. It's quiet, a lot of families with children here. But, no where's safe I guess."
It took crews almost an hour to put out the fire. Major damage was done to the grow house, the fire chief estimates $1.5 million worth of damage.
Homes on either side were also damaged, but that was minor and they are still habitable
One of the next door neighbors, who didn't want to go on camera, told me he was always suspicious of the house. He said he could smell the marijuana but couldn't tell who lived there because there were always different people coming and going.
Police are on scene to start the investigation into the grow house.
sffd, fire, sunset district, marijuana, crime, san francisco news, katie marzullo
- Crews demolishing building in Mission Bay fire 6 min ago
- 7 people dead in New York gas explosion
- Malaysia: No engine data after plane went missing
- Navy's new warship will travel to SF for Fleet Week
- Report: DNA on SJ cop's vest in rape investigation
- Photos: Meet the stars where you live
- Man arrested after standoff in San Francisco
- Parents rally after assaults at elementary schools
- Consumer Reports tests gray hair touch up products
- No fault in how Children's Hospital handled gir's surgeries
- Amazon hikes Prime membership to $99 per year 26 min ago
- Family's plea helps get dying boy experimental drug
- roundup: Surfer rescued; Boy struck by car
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday