San Francisco News
San Francisco mayor meets with water main break victims
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- A San Francisco street hard hit by a water main break last week is still struggling to recover. Homes have been red tagged and sinkholes discovered. Tuesday the mayor came out to take a look.
Mayor Ed Lee is pledging to help residents who are dealing with the ongoing damage. An extended process of repairing underground utilities and soil testing is only beginning after the break one week ago in the West Portal District.
Three homes have been red tagged and sinkholes now threaten to swallow-up the structures.
The mayor Tuesday held a private meeting with residents and took an up-close look at what has become a disaster site.
"We're going to do everything we can as a city to support the residents and the homeowners here so they can recover quickly and we have been doing that," Lee said.
"If the mayor's promises are kept and they actually fix this and they fix it right, then we're going to be in really good shape, but they also don't have a lot of answers," flood victim Michael Rapaport said.
The city says it will take three to six months to determine if the homes can be saved.
water main break, west portal, flooding, san francisco news, heather ishimaru
- Two dead after apartment building fire in SF
- Police arrest suspect accused of setting fire to station
- Teen girl found in Berkeley says she was kidnapped
- Local teen gets Bryan Cranston's help in promposal
- BART unveils new train car design in SF 16 min ago
- Woman struck by cab in downtown San Francisco
- Martinez parents struggle to stay at baby son's side 31 min ago
- Mandatory water cutbacks ordered in Livermore
- Boston Marathon bomb hoax suspect in court
- A's first pitch to honor man killed by drunk driver 24 min ago
- Woman attempting run from San Francisco to New York
- California home prices surge in March; sales fall
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- roundup: Fatal house fire in SF; Oakland shooting
- BART unveils new train car design in SF
16 min ago
- Bay Area residents monitor SKorea ferry...
9 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos