San Francisco News
Exploratorium exhibit a big hit at San Francisco's 'Sunday Streets'
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- A pre-opening festival for the Exploratorium brought art to San Francisco's annual "Sunday Streets" event along the Embarcadero.
The big feature was El Pulpo Mecanico, a mechanical octopus which will emit fire at 8:30 p.m. Sunday.
Additionally the event was filled with live music, food vendors, and many other exhibits for children and adults to enjoy.
The Exploratorium's "On the Move" exhibit was also set up in the Mission and Bayview districts. They were free and open to the public to celebrate the science museum's 43 years in San Francisco.
"It's a party and a parade and a kind of a celebration of us moving and all of the work that we've been doing here to bring this to a new location," said Exploratorium employee Earl Sterling.
The car-free Sunday Streets event opened up 3.3 miles of the northern swath of the Embarcadero to bicyclists, pedestrians, joggers and families.
Other Sunday Streets activities were held at several spots including Fisherman's Wharf, the Ferry Building, Pier 7, Pier 23, Pier 52, Pier 39, and Pier 30, which included plans for a rock climbing wall, live music, art demonstrations and a treasure hunt.
Sunday Streets, which continues in various neighborhoods through October, is organized by several city agencies including the Recreation and Parks Department, Department of Public Works and the Municipal Transportation Agency.
(Bay City News contributed to this report)
exploratorium, embarcadero, art, museums, music, food, bikes, san francisco news
- SFPD SWAT in standoff with shooting suspect 21 min ago
- 7 people dead in New York gas explosion
- Malaysia: No engine data after plane went missing 52 min ago
- Navy's new warship will travel to SF for Fleet Week
- Report: DNA on SJ cop's vest in rape investigation
- Parents rally after assaults at elementary schools
- Recall issued for Fitbit Force over skin problems
- Man accused of shooting SF police officer facing assault charges
- No fault in how Children's Hospital handled gir's surgeries
- Family's plea helps get dying boy experimental drug
- Florida police give 'ticket' to 2-year-old driver
- Photos: Massive fire damages vacant building in SF
- roundup: Fatal motorcycle accident; Watsonville...
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
48 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos