San Francisco News
SF Muni reducing service on certani lines for spring break week
SAN FRANCISCO -- With many students on spring break this week, San Francisco Municipal Railway is also taking a break with reduced service on a dozen lines between Monday and Friday, agency officials said.
San Francisco Unified School District and San Francisco State University students are out of school this week, prompting Muni to cut back morning and afternoon service on lines expected to see a decrease in ridership as a result.
The lines that will run less frequently this week are the 8AX/8BX-Bayshore Express, 9L-San Bruno Limited, 14-Mission Local, 22-Fillmore, 24-Divisadero, 29-Sunset, 31-Balboa, 38-Geary, 43-Masonic, 48-Quintara/24th Street and 49-Van Ness/Mission.
Additionally, the 28L-19th Avenue line, which focuses on school trips, will not run at all this week, according to Muni officials. Regular service will resume on the lines on April 1.
Data collected last year showed that the number of people riding Muni on spring break week was about 17 percent less than average for the morning commute and 9 percent less for the afternoon commute.
Muni officials say the reduction in employee overtime and vehicle maintenance this week will save an estimated $45,000. Similar changes during school breaks in December saved the agency about $275,000 and more reductions could take place this summer as well, officials said.
muni, SFMTA, transportation, san francisco news
- Two fires break out near each other in Hayward 52 min ago
- Albertsons parent Cerberus to buy Safeway
- Peninsula cold case murders linked to Reno killing
- 7 On Your Side: The dark side of green lighting
- Two injured in two-alarm fire in San Jose 11 min ago
- Senate blocks change to military sex assault cases
- Oakland mayor to deliver State of the City address
- Oakland teen accused in AC Transit fire in court
- Batkid was scheduled to appear at Oscars
- Bryan Stow attackers charged with federal crimes
- Some have privacy concerns with wearable technology
- Wheel of Fortune is coming to Northern California!
- roundup: Nob Hill gas leak; Scam warning
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos