San Francisco News
Hundreds come out to celebrate St. Stupid's Day
SAN FRANCISCO -- Hundreds of costumed revelers marched through San Francisco's Financial District this afternoon in the 35th St. Stupid's Day Parade.
"Everyone's got a trickster kind of day, a crazy day in the spring," event organizer Ed Holmes said. "Spring is the time of year when things start moving, fluids start flowing so people want to get out there."
People came out in all sorts of costumes, including clowns, detectives, and various wigs. Some were blowing bubbles, wearing hard hats, and even using umbrellas with nothing but the wiring.
There was even one person responsible for throwing confetti.
"It's costumes. It's silliness. It's absurdity," Holmes said.
Holmes runs the First Church of the Last Laugh, which puts on the annual event, and on this day he goes by a different name: Bishop Joey. But in an impromptu ceremony done in Pig Latin, the people promoted Joey to Pope.
The newly appointed Pope Joey, who wore a pope hat, white robe, boxer shorts, and a Three Stooges tie, led the march from Justin Herman Plaza on a tour of the Financial District, which included stops at the Federal Reserve Bank headquarters, Citigroup, and the old Pacific Coast Stock Exchange.
Through the frivolity of the event, there was a small message.
"We make fun of the banks, flip off the financial institutions for getting away with destroying democracy," Holmes said. "There is a little bit of an edge to (the event)."
The marchers threw losing lottery tickets into the air at the Federal Reserve. They threw pennies at a sculpture at 555 California St. They even threw socks at the steps of the old Pacific Coast Stock Exchange at 301 Pine St.
Stock. Sock. Get it?
Damasocks Amas, who was attending the event for the first time, took in all of the fun.
"It's very fun and silly if you let it," she said. "If you don't it's no fun. What is it hurting? It's bringing lots of smiles to people."
san francisco news
- SJ store owner gets $1M for selling winning ticket 34 min ago
- Family to hold prayer vigil for girl on life support
- Two cars gifted in annual East Bay holiday tradition 50 min ago
- Behind-the-scenes: Saying farewell to 'The Stick'
- Bay Bridge bolt fix running a month behind schedule
- SF supervisor proposes ban on botled water
- UC proposes plan to prevent deer, car collisions 29 min ago
- Hero guide dog assured good home after NY rescue
- Patriarch off 'Duck Dynasty' after gay comments
- Rescued paralyzed dog comforts siblings with autism
- abcnews: Justin Bieber says 'I'm Retiring' from music 51 min ago
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events 30 min ago
- roundup: Stolen ATM recovered; SF shooting
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- UC proposes plan to prevent deer, car...
29 min ago
- SJ store owner gets $1M for selling winning...
34 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos