San Francisco News
President Obama visiting Bay Area for fundraisers
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- President Barack Obama will be spending a couple of days in the Bay Area fundraising for the Democratic Party.
The president has no public appearances scheduled for his trip to the Bay Area, but he is scheduled to attend four private local fundraisers. Air Force One touched down shortly after 5:30 p.m. Wednesday and Obama will spend less than 24 hours in the Bay Area.
Hundreds of protestors gathered about a block away from where the president will be attending a $32,000-a-plate dinner at the Getty mansion. The demonstrators are gathering in San Francisco's Pacific Heights to urge the president to reject the Keystone pipeline.
It should be noted that the host of one of his events is Tom Steyer, a billionaire asset manager who has been very active in opposing the Keystone project. So it's a safe bet Obama will be getting the "no pipeline" message on that one way or the other.
The message the president wanted to impart on Wednesday was gun control and he spoke about it during an afternoon stop in Colorado. The president went to Colorado to speak at the Denver Police Academy just four miles from the scene of the Aurora movie theater massacre.
Wednesday night Obama raised money for his congressional candidates for the Democratic Party. On Thursday he'll be in Atherton raising money for the Democratic National Committee. Sources say in total he is expected to raise between $3-4 million. The money will be used for next year's midterm congressional election in which Democrats are focused on retaining control of the Senate and trying to regain control of the House.
The president is staying at the Intercontinental Hotel in San Francisco, so Howard Street between Fourth and Fifth streets will be closed until the morning.
Obama will decide later this year whether or not to go through with the Keystone project. At Wednesday's fundraisers, he was said to ease concerns about the project as well as his commitment to climate change issues.
The last time President Obama was in the Bay Area was for a fundraising trip last October for his re-election campaign.
barack obama, atherton, pacific heights, democrats, house of representatives, senate, fundraiser, san francisco news
- World leaders, South Africans honor Mandela
- Frigid Bay Area weather takes deadly turn
- Only On 7: Federal drug agents sweep Tenderloin
- Protesters halt Google's commuter bus in SF
- NTSB hearing on Asiana crash at SFO postponed 9 min ago
- Obama shakes hands with Cuba's Raul Castro
- SF firefighters gain upper hand on Recology plant fire 47 min ago
- Man held in N. Korea say statement was coerced
- Female teacher arrested for sexually abusing student
- Winter Spare the Air called through Tuesday
- Photos: Record low temperatures freeze the Bay Area
- abcnews: Newlyweds accused in thrill-kill murder
- roundup: Rising tides; Teen shot in SF
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Tuesday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos