San Francisco News
Manhole explodes in San Francisco's Chinatown
SAN FRANCISCO -- Some PG&E customers were without power Friday afternoon in San Francisco's Chinatown and North Beach neighborhoods after a manhole exploded, authorities said.
Around 11:30 a.m., a manhole exploded on Bush Street at Stockton Street, PG&E spokesman Joe Molica said.
Fire and police officials said smoke started coming from the area and the manhole cover flew off, striking a vehicle.
An employee at the Moth and Dagger Tattoo Studio at 610 Bush St. said the cover was blown about 4 feet into the air.
It struck a passing vehicle and dented the trunk, he said.
He said flames and smoke were seen coming from the exposed manhole.
The employee said down the block, it appeared another manhole cover had also come off.
Smoke from the area indicated possible damage to an electrical cable, Molica said.
No injuries were reported and as of 12:30 p.m., the area had been deemed safe, Molica said.
The employee at Moth and Dagger said police had blocked off two blocks of Bush Street as several fire trucks responded to the fire from the manhole.
The outage affecting residents and merchants in Chinatown and parts of North Beach was reported at 11:40 a.m.
PG&E crews are on scene this afternoon trying to restore power and are investigating the manhole incident, Molica said.
San Francisco Municipal Railway cable car service was briefly stopped after the explosion but was able to continue unaffected, Muni spokesman Paul Rose said.
explosion, PG&E, power outage, chinatown, north beach, san francisco news
- Albertsons parent Cerberus to buy Safeway
- Peninsula cold case murders linked to Reno killing
- 7 On Your Side: The dark side of green lighting
- Stockton port officials happy to receive Google barge
- Senate blocks change to military sex assault cases
- Oakland mayor to deliver State of the City address
- Oakland teen accused in AC Transit fire in court
- Batkid was scheduled to appear at Oscars
- Bryan Stow attackers charged with federal crimes
- Some have privacy concerns with wearable technology
- Isaiah Washington returning to 'Grey's Anatomy'
- Wheel of Fortune is coming to Northern California!
- roundup: Nob Hill gas leak; Scam warning
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday