San Francisco News
Cal Academy's new penguin makes public debut
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- San Francisco's California Academy of Sciences is celebrating a new arrival -- a 2-month-old male African penguin made his public debut on Wednesday.
The little one, who has not been named yet, was hatched at the Cal Academy in Golden Gate Park a couple of months ago. He had been living with his parents in a private nest to give the family a chance to bond.
African penguins were classified as an endangered species in 2010. This chick is the first to hatch since the new Cal Academy opened in Golden Gate Park in 2008.
So what will his name be? That's up to you. The California Academy of Sciences is holding a contest to name the new penguin. The winner will receive a painting created by the new penguin, with a little artistic direction from academy staff.
Name the Penguin Chick Contest:
The public can enter the Academy's Name the Penguin Chick Contest, which runs April 10 through April 30. Academy staff will select the top three names based on originality and connection to the Academy's mission to explore, explain and sustain life, including the African penguin SSP program. The final three names will be put out to public vote, and the winning name will be announced during a naming ceremony in May.
Visitors outside of the San Francisco Bay Area can view the new chick via the Academy's online Penguin Cam or by downloading the Pocket Penguins mobile app, where live feedings are broadcast daily at 10:30 a.m. and 3:00 p.m., PT.
Cal Academy Name the Penguin Chick Contest runs April 10 - April 30
Enter a name: Name the Penguin Chick Contest
california academy of sciences, animal, san francisco news
- Former church worker arrested for credit card fraud 14 min ago
- Car hits SF bus stop, seriously injuring woman 14 min ago
- Mudslide causes trees to fall on power lines in Piedmont 15 min ago
- Mechanic cashes in on SF's high real estate market 17 min ago
- Dog stabbed to death in SF's Mission District
- Police raid LA Times building after threat reports
- Mt. Diablo slow to recover after fire 14 min ago
- SF marks 108th anniversary of the 1906 earthquake
- Family at odds with neighbors over pet chickens
- One fatally shot in apparent burglary in Richmond
- 7 On Your Side helps man waiting for gem ring 16 min ago
- FREE STUFF: Cheese; Water Exercise
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
- roundup: Coachella death; Fireworks incident at...
- Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
34 min ago