San Francisco News
Stabbing suspect fatally shot by San Francisco police ID'd
SAN FRANCISCO -- A man who allegedly stabbed his brother-in-law and was then fatally shot by police in San Francisco's Potrero Hill neighborhood on Wednesday night has been identified by the medical examiner's office as 60-year-old Dale Wilkerson.
An officer shot Wilkerson after he allegedly charged at police with a hammer following the stabbing in the 900 block of De Haro Street.
The incident began when police received a 911 call at about 9:40 p.m. from a man who said he had stabbed his brother-in-law. During the call, a second voice was heard in the background yelling for help, police said.
Officers responded and found the victim, who is also 60, suffering from multiple stab wounds to his head, arms and chest. As they went to assist him, the man later identified as Wilkerson came toward the officers with the hammer, according to police.
They instructed Wilkerson to drop the hammer but he allegedly refused, according to police. Fearing for his safety and that of the other officers, one officer fired his service weapon, striking Wilkerson, police said.
Both Wilkerson and the victim were taken to San Francisco General Hospital, where Wilkerson died. The victim was badly hurt but is expected to survive, police said.
Investigators found a machete near the scene of the stabbing.
Police Chief Greg Suhr said Thursday morning, "With the tools that we have, the officers did what they had to do to defend themselves."
Suhr last week announced that he was withdrawing a request to the Police Commission to arm some officers with stun guns after many community members and civil rights groups objected, saying the devices were too dangerous and would be used unnecessarily.
SFPD, potrero hill, shooting, crime, violence, san francisco news
- Crews demolishing building in Mission Bay fire
- 7 people dead in New York gas explosion
- Malaysia: No engine data after plane went missing
- Man looks to move forward after Peninsula boat crash
- Broken window of high-rise shuts down block in SF
- SF's Stockton Tunnel closed due to water main break 17 min ago
- Car cleared from Caltrain tracks after collision
- Report: DNA on SJ cop's vest in rape investigation
- Obama signs memo to strengthen overtime pay rules 24 min ago
- Americans on track to spend $60B on pets this year
- Amazon hikes Prime membership to $99 per year
- Photos: Meet the stars where you live
- roundup: Vacaville police chief; South Bay fireworks
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday