San Francisco News
Town hall meeting to be held Friday about fatal police shooting
SAN FRANCISCO -- San Francisco police Chief Greg Suhr will be holding a town hall meeting this afternoon after an officer fatally shot a stabbing suspect in the city's Potrero Hill neighborhood on Wednesday night.
The meeting will be held at the Potrero Hill Neighborhood House, located at 953 De Haro St., at 4:30 p.m.
The public meeting follows the death of 60-year-old Dale Wilkerson, who was shot by an officer in the 900 block of De Haro Street after police responded to the area around 9:40 p.m. Wednesday.
Wilkerson allegedly charged at police with a hammer after a stabbing was reported in the area, police said.
A man had called police and said he stabbed his brother-in-law. During the call to 911, police heard someone in the background yelling for help.
When police responded, they found a victim also in his 60s suffering from multiple stab wounds to his head, arms, and chest.
Wilkerson allegedly came toward police with the hammer when officers went to assist the stabbing victim.
Police told Wilkerson to drop his weapon, but he allegedly refused, prompting an officer to fire his service weapon in self-defense, according to police.
Wilkerson and the victim were taken to San Francisco General Hospital, where Wilkerson died. The brother-in-law is expected to survive his injuries, police said.
Police said a machete was found near the scene of the stabbing.
SFPD, potrero hill, shooting, crime, violence, san francisco news
- Plane's disappearance result of "deliberate action"
- CCSF protestors make voices heard at City Hall
- Investigators finally getting look at Mission Bay fire
- I-TEAM: Small park, big problems
- Death of woman found in home considered homicide
- Vehicle runs over gas line, hits SJ DMV building
- Uber announces new insurance policy for drivers
- Costco recalls cases of freeze-dried fruit
- Crews busy dismantling old span of the Bay Bridge
- Virgin to stop service at Mineta San Jose Airport
- Group says GM airbag failures caused 303 deaths
- Photos: Meet the stars where you live
- roundup: AltCar Expo; Motorcyclist killed
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos