San Francisco News
Report investigates high SFFD overtime costs
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- A new report puts the staffing levels of the San Francisco Fire Department under the microscope; some firefighters are racking up more than a $100,000 in overtime alone.
According to the San Francisco Chronicle, SFFD Lt. Gary Altenberg was the top overtime earner; he made $221,000 in overtime, raising his paycheck to $363,000 last year. Frederick Binkley, a paramedic/firefighter picked up $191,000 in overtime to bring his pay for last year to $337,204.
The fire department says these numbers aren't as bad as they seem.
"It's somewhat the norm these days. But it's not a shock factor because, it's not, it's money that is budgeted," said Lt. Mindy Talmadge of the SFFD.
The department has already blown through its overtime budget and will be asking the board of supervisors for $4 million more.
The fire union president told the Chronicle that the overtime costs are because the department has 400 empty positions to fill. San Francisco Mayor Ed Lee is promising to fill those positions.
Fire Chief Joanne Hayes-White said that the high amount of overtime is not safe for firefighters' mental or physical health.
Some tax payers see beyond the six-figure overtime pay.
"If it's saving life and providing the community, I'm all up for it," said San Francisco business owner Carlos Alejandro Ban.
sffd, ed lee, unions, san francisco news, amy hollyfield
- Man leads police on wild chase around Antioch
- Record streak continues for Winter Spare the Air Alerts 51 min ago
- Hearing produces new details, video of Asiana crash
- Toys for Tots donations really low this year
- PG&E removes pipe involved in Oakland gas leak
- Man shot by deputy may be "Cotton Ball Bandit"
- Memorial takes place in SF to honor Mandela
- Huy Fong Foods halting Sriracha sauce shipments
- Teen given probation in DUI crash that killed four
- Mother releases video of daughter killed in Sandy Hook shooting
- Winter Spare the Air called through Thursday
- abcnews: First lady's glare seen round the world
- roundup: Warehouse fire; Mandela memorial
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos