San Francisco News
SFPD bust grocery store shoplifting ring
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- San Francisco police busted a big shoplifting ring this week, but not one that deals in electronics or clothes. This network steals and resells shampoo, conditioner, razor blades, batteries and the like.
Police confiscated $100,000 worth of disposable razors and $40,000 worth of batteries. These thieves were after everyday items they could sell for a quick profit.
"This is a first for us," said police Lt. Ed Santos.
Santos showed off the cache of Oil of Olay, Tide, toothbrushes, and even coffee, they confiscated from a two-bedroom apartment on Commercial Street in San Francisco's Chinatown neighborhood, following an undercover sting operation.
"We saw bags and boxes of stolen property stacked up high against a wall," said Santos.
Two days of surveillance led them to arrest Dai Thai, 62, on Tuesday.
Police say the ringleader would put out a daily shopping list to a network of thieves from San Francisco to Walnut Creek and Alamo. They'd shoplift the goods item by item.
The goods were stolen from CVS, Target, Safeway and Walgreens stores. Police say Thai would pay cash, then re-sell them to a Mission District flea market and stores.
"We believe they're going to smaller mom and pop type stores. These items are probably being sold from anywhere between 20 to 40 cents on the dollar," said Santos.
Police called in executives for the victimized stores. They scanned the goods and figured out the whole cache is worth $300,000 - $400,000 retail.
They say its crimes like these that drive up consumer prices. Police are still investigating the possibility of more arrests as they inventory thousands of items.
SFPD, crime, shopping, san francisco news
- 1 dead, 2 injured in Redwood City boating accident
- Mother, child killed in San Francisco fire
- San Francisco officials plan to crack down on "420"
- SF Chinese community faces fallout from Yee arrest
- Possible explosive prompts evacuations in Solvang 51 min ago
- Firetruck rams California eatery; 15 injured
- BART unveils new train car design in SF
- Man accused of killing Sierra LaMar appears in court
- VIDEO: Man kicked in head taking selfie in...
- Angels beat A's 5-4 on Iannetta's HR in 12th
- Photos: The 10 worst jobs for 2014
- San Jose Sharks holding rally to kick off playoff run
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- roundup: Fatal house fire in SF; Oakland shooting
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos