San Francisco News
SF police ask for help in solving 2012 Bay to Breakers homicide
SAN FRANCISCO -- Sunday's 102nd Bay to Breakers race in San Francisco marked a tragic anniversary. Police homicide inspectors are asking the public for help in solving a murder that happened after last year's race.
Police say 30-year-old Stephen Martin was assaulted around 5 p.m. on May 20, 2012, in the Sharon Meadow area of Golden Gate Park, hours after the 12K race had ended.
The Santa Clara resident and his friends were wearing troll costumes and got into an argument with another group, apparently involving a dispute over a cellphone. Someone in the other group then punched Martin, who fell and hit his head on the ground and lost consciousness.
He was taken to San Francisco General Hospital where he died on June 8.
"It was basically a sucker punch," police spokesman Officer Albie Esparza said.
Esparza says investigators are continuing to review photos of the group that was arguing with Martin's friends and are again asking for the public's help in identifying the possible suspects.
In the photos released by police, the males in that group were wearing red and white 49ers jerseys while some females were wearing purple clothing and one wore an orange tutu, police said.
Anyone with information is encouraged to call the Police Department's homicide detail at (415) 553-1145, the anonymous tip line at (415) 575-4444 or to send a tip by text message to TIP411 with "SFPD" in the message.
golden gate park, crime, bay to breakers, violence, santa clara, SFPD, san francisco news
- SJ store owner get $1M for selling winning ticket
- Behind-the-scenes: Saying farewell to 'The Stick'
- 11 injured in oven explosion at Santa Rita Jail
- Fire at metal plant doesn't help hazy skies
- Georgia woman has 1 of 2 winning lottery tickets
- Richmond council votes for foreclosure prevention plan 47 min ago
- Online retailers take part in Free Shipping Day 21 min ago
- Food bank hands out hundreds of hams to families
- 'Mary Poppins' among 25 US films to be preserved 42 min ago
- Winter Spare the Air Alert called through Wednesday
- abcnews: Justin Bieber says 'I'm Retiring' from music
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Stolen ATM recovered; SF shooting
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday