San Francisco News
Bicyclist killed in accident with garbage truck in SF
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- San Francisco police are investigating a deadly collision between a garbage truck and a bicyclist Thursday morning in the Mission District. The accident closed the intersection of 16th Street and South Van Ness Avenue for hours.
Police and witnesses said it appears that the cyclist wasn't wearing a helmet. The accident had quite an impact on witnesses.
"I'm shocked, it's just something that you don't expect to have to deal with," said witness Jade Williams.
Williams was getting gas at 16th Street and South Van Ness Avenue around 6:30 this morning when the cyclist crashed into the garbage truck.
"I don't even know where (the cyclist) came from. He was there one minute and then it just happened so fast," said Williams.
Jorge Marquez agreed that the cyclist did seem to be moving pretty quickly.
"(The cyclist) was going too fast and the driver had a green light, (the driver of the truck) was not at fault," said Marquez.
Police have not determined who was at fault, but say the truck driver is cooperating and has not been cited. The investigation is still underway, but CHP officials say both the cyclist and the garbage truck were traveling eastbound on16th towards South Van Ness. As the Recology truck was turning right onto Van Ness, the cyclist collided with the rear of the turning truck.
The truck dragged the bike for a block up to 17th Street before it stopped.
Hours after the accident, CHP Officers were seen inspecting trucks outside Recology's facility in San Francisco. "We're just trying to lower the amount of accidents that happen out on the road, just looking to make sure the companies are in compliance," Officer Eric Butawen said.
Almost two months ago, a Recology truck struck a grandmother and her 7-year-old granddaughter in the crosswalk of Broadway and Embarcadero, crushing the girl's foot. She is now recovering, but that accident is still under investigation.
The medical examiner has not released the name or the age of the victim.
mission district, crash, SFPD, sffd, san francisco news
- Daly City medical building shooting suspect arrested
- One injured in apartment fire near San Jose State 56 min ago
- FDA proposes first regulations for e-cigarettes 2 min ago
- 'Legends of Candlestick' to return for final game
- Afghanistan hospital guard kills three American doctors
- 2 arrested for murder of pet sitter in East Oakland 17 min ago
- Batteries in baby video monitors recalled
- Brentwood boy to be honored at MLB All-Star game 4 min ago
- Suspected San Jose homicide victim identified 13 min ago
- 5-year-old Oakland boy shot in eye with paintball gun
- Six Flags welcoms first seal pup born at park in 8 years
- Actor dressed as homeless man fools New Yorkers 19 min ago
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- roundup: Muni bus fire; Hiker rescued 24 min ago