San Francisco News
Bicyclist killed in accident with garbage truck in SF
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- San Francisco police are investigating a deadly collision between a garbage truck and a bicyclist Thursday morning in the Mission District. The accident closed the intersection of 16th Street and South Van Ness Avenue for hours.
Police and witnesses said it appears that the cyclist wasn't wearing a helmet. The accident had quite an impact on witnesses.
"I'm shocked, it's just something that you don't expect to have to deal with," said witness Jade Williams.
Williams was getting gas at 16th Street and South Van Ness Avenue around 6:30 this morning when the cyclist crashed into the garbage truck.
"I don't even know where (the cyclist) came from. He was there one minute and then it just happened so fast," said Williams.
Jorge Marquez agreed that the cyclist did seem to be moving pretty quickly.
"(The cyclist) was going too fast and the driver had a green light, (the driver of the truck) was not at fault," said Marquez.
Police have not determined who was at fault, but say the truck driver is cooperating and has not been cited. The investigation is still underway, but CHP officials say both the cyclist and the garbage truck were traveling eastbound on16th towards South Van Ness. As the Recology truck was turning right onto Van Ness, the cyclist collided with the rear of the turning truck.
The truck dragged the bike for a block up to 17th Street before it stopped.
Hours after the accident, CHP Officers were seen inspecting trucks outside Recology's facility in San Francisco. "We're just trying to lower the amount of accidents that happen out on the road, just looking to make sure the companies are in compliance," Officer Eric Butawen said.
Almost two months ago, a Recology truck struck a grandmother and her 7-year-old granddaughter in the crosswalk of Broadway and Embarcadero, crushing the girl's foot. She is now recovering, but that accident is still under investigation.
The medical examiner has not released the name or the age of the victim.
mission district, crash, SFPD, sffd, san francisco news
- Cold snap could shatter 41-year-old Bay Area record
- Bay Area braces for chilly weather as cold snap hits
- Third day ends without finding missing SJ CEO
- BART train brake problem prompts evacuations
- Officer-involved shooting shuts down I-5 9 min ago
- 50 people displaced by San Leandro apartment fire
- Fast-food strikes return amid push for wage hikes
- Libyan officials say US teacher killed in Benghazi
- Northern California couple has rare triplets
- 3 Good Samaritans honored for Alameda water rescue
- Milpitas police investigate possible kidnapping
- abcnews: Who's getting early Oscar buzz?
- roundup: SF shooting; Milpitas possible kidnapping
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
4 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos