San Francisco News
Bicyclist fatally struck by garbage truck just moved to SF
SAN FRANCISCO -- A 21-year-old man who was struck and killed by a garbage truck Thursday morning while riding his bicycle to work through San Francisco's Mission District had just moved to the city, a relative said.
The fatal accident was reported around 6:45 a.m. Thursday at 16th Street and South Van Ness Avenue.
The bicyclist, identified as Dylan Mitchell, and the garbage truck were both traveling east on 16th Street when the truck began to make a right turn onto South Van Ness, according to police.
Mitchell, who was traveling at a high rate of speed, hit the rear of the truck. He was not wearing a helmet and was pronounced dead at the scene, police said.
Mitchell's aunt, Concord resident Arla Samuels, said Friday morning from the family's home in Clayton that Mitchell had moved to San Francisco two weeks ago for an electrician's apprenticeship.
Samuels said the Clayton Valley High School graduate loved to play golf and was new to cycling.
Mitchell is survived by three younger brothers and his mother and father, the aunt said.
The driver of the truck that struck Mitchell eventually stopped at the scene after the mangled white bicycle ended up a block away along a curb on 17th Street.
The garbage truck is owned by Recology, which issued a statement Thursday offering condolences to Mitchell's family and saying the company was cooperating with the police investigation into the collision.
mission district, crash, SFPD, sffd, san francisco news
- Injunction filed to keep Jahi McMath on life support
- Senator Harry Reid in hospital for observation
- BART Board president wants to ban transit strikes
- 'Wonder Girl' cancer patient is inspiration for Vallejo
- Garbage truck fatally strikes man in Tenderloin
- Female victim shot near Lake Merritt Friday morning 41 min ago
- Car crashes into San Jose home this morning
- SFFD battle 1-alarm blaze near the Panhandle
- San Jose charity 3,000 short of toy distribution goal
- VIRAL VIDEO: Oscars® Trailer: Ellen...
- abcnews: Dancing doctor gets tickets to Beyonce show
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: CPUC fines PG&E; Homeless memorial
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos