San Francisco News
Lofts At 7 to soon open in Tenderloin
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- A brand new housing development is scheduled to open in a San Francisco neighborhood known for its high crime rate. The Tenderloin Lofts are under construction at a site that holds special meaning for us at ABC7 News -- it was once our home.
Until 1985, KGO TVs newsroom, studios and broadcast facilities were located on Golden Gate Avenue in San Francisco's Tenderloin.
Now after being vacant for nearly 30 years, the site is coming to life again. Called the Lofts At 7, to honor the TV station's legacy, 88 brand new market rate rental apartments are going up. They'll have high ceilings, hardwood floors and more.
"Where we're standing on the roof, there's a great view and they'll have 6,500 square feet of fitness center, barbeque grills, fire pits and an outdoor cinema," said Alan Mark from The Mark Company.
All that grandeur in gritty surroundings.
"There's nothing tender about this loin. It's really hard," said one resident.
But we're told things are changing. It's even being called the "Trendyloin" as some of the mid-market hype makes it this way. Tenderloin activist Randy Shaw, from the Tenderloin Housing Clinic, believes the new lofts will help the neighborhood transform.
"This has a major impact because it brings people in who have jobs, who can patronize local businesses and will tell their friends to come down here. That it's a lot better than people think," said Shaw.
But crime is still an issue, in fact hundreds of neighborhood residents have signed a petition criticizing police Chief Greg Suhr for a decrease in police staffing.
"The Tenderloin is down twice as much as citywide," said Shaw to Suhr.
"Help is on the way. We've got two academy classes in and we're committed to making sure the Tenderloin is staffed back up again as the academy classes come out," said Suhr.
That is welcome news certainly for those currently living in the "loin," as well as the newcomers on the way.
tenderloin, crime, greg suhr, SFPD, san francisco news, carolyn tyler
- Body found on Mt. Tam believed to be missing hiker
- Doctors: 10-month-old girl won't survive abuse injuries
- Investigators conduct tests with FedEx truck, bus
- Evacuation came too late for many on sinking ferry
- 6 Nepalese guides dead, 9 missing in Mount Everest avalanche
- Student with Down syndrome accepted to college
- Sharks beat Kings 6-3 in Game 1
- Cal/OSHA fines BART $210,000 in 2013 fatal accident
- Firework thrown into bleachers during Giants game
- Infant boy left alone in car all day in San Jose dies
- New assisted living rent law isn't retroactive
- All 29 defendants in corruption case appear in court
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
- roundup: DUI crash; Antioch teen killed
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos