San Francisco News
Lofts At 7 to soon open in Tenderloin
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- A brand new housing development is scheduled to open in a San Francisco neighborhood known for its high crime rate. The Tenderloin Lofts are under construction at a site that holds special meaning for us at ABC7 News -- it was once our home.
Until 1985, KGO TVs newsroom, studios and broadcast facilities were located on Golden Gate Avenue in San Francisco's Tenderloin.
Now after being vacant for nearly 30 years, the site is coming to life again. Called the Lofts At 7, to honor the TV station's legacy, 88 brand new market rate rental apartments are going up. They'll have high ceilings, hardwood floors and more.
"Where we're standing on the roof, there's a great view and they'll have 6,500 square feet of fitness center, barbeque grills, fire pits and an outdoor cinema," said Alan Mark from The Mark Company.
All that grandeur in gritty surroundings.
"There's nothing tender about this loin. It's really hard," said one resident.
But we're told things are changing. It's even being called the "Trendyloin" as some of the mid-market hype makes it this way. Tenderloin activist Randy Shaw, from the Tenderloin Housing Clinic, believes the new lofts will help the neighborhood transform.
"This has a major impact because it brings people in who have jobs, who can patronize local businesses and will tell their friends to come down here. That it's a lot better than people think," said Shaw.
But crime is still an issue, in fact hundreds of neighborhood residents have signed a petition criticizing police Chief Greg Suhr for a decrease in police staffing.
"The Tenderloin is down twice as much as citywide," said Shaw to Suhr.
"Help is on the way. We've got two academy classes in and we're committed to making sure the Tenderloin is staffed back up again as the academy classes come out," said Suhr.
That is welcome news certainly for those currently living in the "loin," as well as the newcomers on the way.
tenderloin, crime, greg suhr, SFPD, san francisco news, carolyn tyler
- BART, union leaders reach new contract deal
- Oakland hospital ordered to keep girl on life support
- Woman hit by stray bullet may be paralyzed
- St. Anthony's holds annual Curbside Donation Drive 12 min ago
- 1 injured in shooting at Bayfair Mall in San Leandro
- Santa makes early visit to Tenderloin school
- AC Transit, unions announce tentative agreement
- What's next for Candlestick Point?
- Dying cancer patient's friend offers to be surrogate
- Big Sur wildfire is fully contained
- GET FREE STUFF: Cream cheese; Bracelet set
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Oakland shooting; DUI checkpoints
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
- Some stores offering last minute holiday...
59 min ago