San Francisco News
Caltrain service resumes after fire near tracks in San Francisco
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- Crews in San Francisco worked quickly Saturday afternoon to put out a grass fire and bridge fire that became dangerous for trains in the city's Bayview neighborhood.
Someone who works nearby shot video from a rooftop, showing the fire burning on the bridge at Paul Avenue and Carr Street. Then, moments later, the flames jumped to the hillside below.
The grass fire posed a problem for the fire crew because trains were still running and firefighters didn't want to be in their path.
Once that was controlled, crews then focused on snuffing out the flames on the bridge.
There were two trains that passed under the blazing bridge, so fire crews worked fast to get that under control.
"Once those boards start going and they burn, they'll fall down onto the tracks and they pose a serious derailment hazard," SFFD Battalion Chief Charles Crane said. "So, it's a good thing that somebody called it in."
Crews had to pull chunks of the wooden footbridge apart.
The fire also damaged pipes under the bridge, one of which carries raw sewage. Right now it's spilling on the tracks below
Crews have blocked off the footbridge. It's so badly damaged it will have to be torn down, and rebuilt.
Workers from the Department of Public Works are also there to deal with the leaking sewage pipe under the bridge.
Caltrain did have to delay trains for a while Saturday afternoon. But the trains eventually returned to their regular schedule.
bayview hunters point, caltrain, BART, fire, transportation, san francisco news
- Bay Area braces for coldest night of the cold snap 51 min ago
- Palo Alto man says he was well-fed in North Korea
- Ukraine sees largest anti-govt protest since 2004
- Deep freeze grips most of United States
- Paul Walker memorial in California draws thousands
- Harding makes 37 saves, Wild beat Sharks 3-1 19 min ago
- Smith leads Jets to 37-27 victory over Raiders
- Salvation Army ringer sets 105-hour ring record
- Man falls asleep on flight, wakes up in empty plane 31 min ago
- Winter Spare the Air called for Sunday and Monday
- Photos: Record low temperatures freeze the Bay Area
- abcnews: Newlyweds accused in thrill-kill murder
- roundup: Homeless shelter program; Windsor kidnapping
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday 43 min ago
- Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
43 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos