San Francisco News
SF landlord makes court appearance on assault charges
A San Francisco landlord who tenants say terrorizes and abuses them made his first court appearance Friday on charges of assaulting a police officer who responded to a 911 call.
Landlord Norman Sabel faces felony charges related to a scuffle he had with police. Officers responded earlier this week to a 911 call from tenant Nikko Bravo, who said Sabel broke into his apartment unit. Bravo secretly recorded Sabel cussing at him, as he was kicking in the door. An officer who responded broke his knee when he tried to subdue Sabel.
The landlord owns an apartment building on Fulton Street near Golden Gate Park. Several tenants are suing him, saying he's abused and terrorized them.
Bravo took several videos, which he says proves how abusive his landlord can be. One video was taken when Sabel was about to hose down a common area of the apartment building. After Sabel takes a swing at the tenant, he charges at him. Sabel's lawyer defends his client this way.
"Nikko Bravo was provoking Mr. Sabel. That's the way I saw it. And I think that when people take a closer look at this, that's what they're going to see," said Hugo Torbet, the landlord's attorney.
That's not the way the district attorney saw it.
"As a landlord, he has definitely crossed the line. His way of dealing with his tenants is very disturbing. He is clearly very abusive. He's obviously a violent person," said San Francisco District Attorney George Gascon.
The judge granted the prosecution's motion for a stay away order, telling Sabel he'd have to keep at least 150 yards away from Bravo, his tenant who moved out on Wednesday, the day our story aired.
crime, george gascon, san francisco news, vic lee
- 5-alarm fire burning at building near China Basin 22 min ago
- San Jose police officer facing sexual assault charges
- Feinstein: CIA improperly searched computer network
- Officials investigating acid spill at Tesoro refinery
- Family mourns young woman killed by tree
- High speed chase ends in crash in Richmond
- Major BART delays due to Balboa Park station incident
- Pedestrian hit by car in downtown San Francisco crosswalk
- Lanes reopen on NB I-880 after Major-injury crash
- Report: CVS could face $29M fine for painkillers
- Portland family calls 911 about angry cat
- Pharmacist prescribes anti-monster spray for child
- abcnews: 'The Bachelor' Finale Full Recap
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Tuesday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos